Bit the bullet today and bought an extractor

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I decided to pay the extra money for the Maxant extractor (3100) because it is American made. It will hold 6 shallow super frames, and I won't have to flip them. It will extract both sides at the same time. :clap

I will hopefully add another hive next year, either by a package or split - so it will pay for itself over time.

Now I can't wait for my bees to fill up my super so I can try it out!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Hope you have twice the need for it based on what you got last year! :drool You didn't mention, did you swing for the legs and motorized version or just go with the base unit and manual spin? I sure wish money grew on trees... I'd buy me a couple of them straight up!

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sweet! Make your split this summer after the main flow and head into winter with two colonies. Why wait?!!
Confidence. I've never done it, and I'm worried about them being able to survive winter without a good flow. I may split in the spring. I'm also going to get and extra hive, just in case the buggers swarm.

Awesome! Hope you have twice the need for it based on what you got last year! :drool You didn't mention, did you swing for the legs and motorized version or just go with the base unit and manual spin? I sure wish money grew on trees... I'd buy me a couple of them straight up!

Yes on the legs, no on the power. Power can be added later though. I borrowed an extractor last year, but it will be nice to have my own. It does extract radially, so no flipping frames.

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I got my extractor yesterday. :weee It's smaller around than I thought it would be, but geez, it's pretty darn heavy! Really nice quality, so I'm glad I spent the extra money. I haven't bolted the legs on it yet, but will probably work on that today - if I'm not out buying a new hive.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had thoughts on using an old washing machine motor and drum to make an extractor if we ever get bees. My husband used to have bees for like one season lol but he wants more now. Any idea if a washing machine motor and drum might work? the spin cycle strong on them lol.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I don't know how fast an extractor spins in RPM, but nowhere near as fast as a washing machine for sure! I've read hand cranks at 3-5 RPM and motor driven at anywhere from 90-350... (which I think is way to high). A lot has to do with the size of the container as the further out from center you are, the faster you'd be traveling (distance wise) in the same amount of time. Too fast and the wax comb will be destroyed.

for example @2" from center, spinning 10 RPM, you'd be traveling 125.664"/second. @6" from center, 10 RPM = 376.992"/second.

The other concern for me would be how to get the honey out of the washer tub... :hu If DH does a washing machine build for a honey extractor, he should really document/film it so others can benefit from his ingenuity!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have no doubts we would have to gear down the motor lol. i can just picture combs smashed into the side of the wash tub...not pretty. We actually have a dryer drum we would likely use instead of the washer drum cause the dryer drum only has a few holes and what would be the bottom has a large opening so we can rig a funnel or some sort of collection device...we shall see i guess lol. First we need the bees.