Bitterroot's Journal - Rabbitosis, cookies up to my eyeballs, & Xmas!

Bitterroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We're officially starting to look for a dog breeder, in anticipation of purchasing a puppy next year. If anyone out there happens to know of someone breeding rottweilers, who lives on a farm and exposes them to farm animals of every shape and sort from a young age, please let me know! I don't care if they're across the country, as long as they'll ship. We'll be wanting a future carting prospect, who doesn't have to guard the critters but at least realizes they aren't to be eaten if one crosses our path.

Thanksgiving went well. Just me and hubby, but I like it that way. It was so nice and quiet. Christmas will be the same. I'm hoping I can gather the energy to get the tree up and decorated this weekend, since my next couple weeks will be filled with cookie baking and my yearly scrubbing the house from top to bottom to ring in the new year with a clean slate. If you get rid of dirt and clutter, you make way for new and better things to take their place.

Spent the day in bed yesterday sick. Wow, it's been a while since I've had to stay in bed! Got up and about halfway through my morning cup of coffee, and suddenly felt so dizzy and weak. Spent the day throwing up and generally feeling blech. Sinuses is my guess, since it felt like my face would pop open from the pressure and pain. Much better today though, though I still don't quite feel 100%. Got up and dragged myself out to clean the rabbit cages as I was supposed to have done yesterday. Also put some light bulbs in the garage door openers, and hung some icicle christmas lights up to give the bunnies 14 hours of light on a timer per day. It'll be nice to not have to get my work with them done before 4 or so when it's already getting dark. And it's kinda festive. :D

Flurry's kits are doing great. They turned 4 weeks old on saturday so I did their first weigh-in. Four pounds exactly for the six of them. Yes, that's on the small side, but florida whites are smaller bunnies and do take an extra couple weeks to make the size for freezer camp. I wish I could find a weight chart so I could follow along and see where my kits fall as far as averages. Ah well, good thing I'm tracking everything, for future comparisons and averages. I palpated my other two florida does that I bred on the 15th. No idea what I'm doing, but I did feel something olive sized and semi squishy (didn't want to squeeze very hard!) in the doe who only had one but lost it, and felt nothing in the other doe. I'll go ahead and wait, then give them next boxes and see if I'm right or wrong. Bred the sable point doe to the tort buck a few days ago. Fingers crossed for lots more healthy sable point bunnies. Wasn't sure it was going to happen since she's huge and he's a teeny 3 pounds, or so, but my brave little guy hopped right on up there and did his job. Couldn't help it, I laughed the entire time. Also bred my florida buck to the REW mini rex doe. She's just as big as my floridas, so I expect the size of the babies will be fine, and all will be carrying the recessive rex gene. Hopefully I'll have a nice, meaty buck out of the litter to breed back to mom to get the rex fur back but keep the florida carcass.

That's about it for now. Just plugging along and dreading the cold temps and snow I know are coming.

Alice Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm not near you, nor do I have Rotties, but I can offer some suggestions.

*Go to the national club website and look for breeders in your area. There also may be a state or regional club near you too.
*Check if there is a carting group in your area - they hold carting trials and would hopefully have some people as contacts who are doing this with your desired breed. (I have a friend with Berners who does - and we are going to join them - with my OES) You can also look online on the AKC website and check out their event listing...for something near you - or at least as near as possible.
*Go to other dog sport events - many who cultivate their dogs' working abilities do other events - obedience, rally, agility, weight pull, etc. That would be a good place to meet people and make contacts. (I met my OES breeder while showing my basset in a rally trial. She was convinced if I could have a basset hound working off lead, outdoors and doing jumps that I would be a really good puppy home!)

Bitterroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Some excellent advice. Thank you for stopping by and takign the time to give me some help. I appreciate it!

Rabbitosis struck again. While I was originally looking for some mini rex, I briefly spoke to a lady who did have a broken chocolate buck, but he was way too young at the time for her to sell. And of course my silly self, who needs another buck like I need another hole in my head, went back and bought him. :p Had to wait a couple weeks, and I still refuse to believe he's as old as she claims he is on his pedigree, but he's eating and drinking well so hopefully things will go goood. with him.

Shawn named him "Pete". He's a broken chocolate mini rex buck, supposed to be 8 weeks old.
pete2.jpg

pete.jpg

Got the first batch of cookies out to Shawn's hospital customers, and am getting back some great reviews. I'm doing seven more, plus a big batch for the Florida headquarters, plus several dozen more for his drivers, on Sunday. I'm resting now while I have the chance! Cookies I made this year are: tollhouse chocolate chip, peanut butter sandwich, chai spiced almond balls, honey wheat pistachio biscotti, pecan tassies, lemon thumbprints with Montana huckleberry jam, and dark chocolate black walnut fudge.
Filling tins ...
cookies2012.jpg

I've also been working on my yearly floor to ceiling cleaning of the house, and that's going well. Out with the clutter and the dirt, in with the new and exciting! I also managed to wrestle up our memory tree. (nevermind the table covered with nuts or the grill we're still keeping inside because of the bear, haha!)
christmastree2012.jpg

Also managed to get a wreath put on the front door after I finished scrubbing said door and the front porch. I think this will be the extent of my ho-ho-ho'ing this year. I'm too tired to do more.
fp122012.jpg

Alice Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Adorable bunny, those cookies look amazing, and you have a pretty tree! Looks like all you need is some snow. :)