bladder infection doe now has diarrhea

gibbygoats

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
]Can anyone help me tonight?

I posted on Monday about my pygmy doe that has a bladder infection.

I have been giving her pennacillan Sub-Q 2x day since Monday am. Since Monday evening she has been peeing normal again.

I went out to put the goats to bed a little while ago and now she has runny diarrhea. There is no blood in it that I can see.

I took her temp and it is 104.

I've never taken her temp before so I don't know what here "normal" temp is. In my pygmy goat book it says that the normal range is 102.5 to 104.

My question is should I give her the shot of Pennacillan or do you think this could be causing the diarrhea?

Also is there anything I should do to help her till morning? I didn't give her the goat pellets, I just gave her lots of fresh hay.

Thanks in advanced for any help you can give.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Hay is fine until she straightens out. I'd offer probiotics, my guess is the antibiotics are wreaking havoc on her rumen.
Good luck!

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
Hay is fine until she straightens out. I'd offer probiotics, my guess is the antibiotics are wreaking havoc on her rumen.
Good luck!
I agree. All the antibiotics that are killing off the bad bacteria also kills the good. Any time I give antibiotics, they also get probios.

gibbygoats

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get a chance to reply earlier, had a VERY busy day!

Thanks for the responses

I called the vet this morning and she gave me probiotics, Banamine, and sub-q fluids in case I would need them. So far she's drinking so I haven't needed them.

She was very lethargic this morning but as the day went on she perked up and tonight she seems a lot better. :) I haven't had a chance to check her poop tonight, but she is holding her tail normal again instead of curled up toward her back.

Thanks again for your help.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
A healthy goat holds its tail straight up, or up over its back. A sick or scared goat will hold its tail down.

gibbygoats

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Her normal tail position is up, but while she was having diarrhea problems her tail was stretched way over her back in a non normal way.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
kimmyh said:
A healthy goat holds its tail straight up, or up over its back. A sick or scared goat will hold its tail down.
Not to pick knits, but this isn't true for all goats. The only goats we have that have ever held their tails straight up or over its back have been the bucks.. Our does' tails generally go straight out or down, and they're fat, slick, and happy.

Just sayin.

Glad the goat is feeling better.. As others have said, antibiotics can really mess with the digestive system. Happens even in humans, and we're not nearly so dependent on bacteria as ruminants are.

gibbygoats

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
trestlecreek said:
How old is she and how much does she weigh?
She is 1 1/2 yrs old and weighs about 60 lbs.

I had the vet come out yesterday. I was worried because she isn't eating, or I should say she is eating very little. She also seemed a bit depressed.

She gave me Bio sponge an intestinal absorbent and Bismupaste E (basicly pepto bismal) for the diarrhea.

The vet said that because of her diarrhea and having a belly ache she is probably a little afraid to eat for fear it will hurt her belly again. She said to encourage her to eat pretty much anything she wants. Hay, grass, leaves, cherrios, goat treats any thing that will get her jump started to eat again. She did say her rumen sounded good so she must be eating at least a little when I'm not watching.

Does anyone have any food ideas or tricks to get her to eat?

Last night and this morning she seems more chipper but still not eating much

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You can cook carrots, grind them up and drench her with them. Also, some old fashioned oat meal can be cooked and added to the carrots. The oat meal is good for reducing diarrhea, and the carrots give them energy.