bladder infection doe now has diarrhea

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Give her a big whopping dose (or three, or ten) of vit. b-complex...should help stimulate the appetite.

B-vitamins are water soluble.. She'll simply pee out what she doesn't use. You could literally administer a whole 250ml bottle at once and not OD her. I'm not advising you to do that, of course...I'm just saying that b-vitamins are one of the rare and beautiful things in goatdom that work well without the owner having to be shy or worried about using them.

So..try that. If it doesn't work, the only other thing I can think of would be dexamethasone.. It's Rx only, and you gotta be considerably more thoughtful with it. If she doesn't perk back up on the B, you might ask your vet about dex and see what they say..

gibbygoats

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Where do I get Vit. B complex. feed store? drug store? also how do I give give it to her?
I am desperate to get her to start eating. We are scheduled to go away this weekend and I don't want to change our plans because Daisy wont eat!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would also get some Probios in her. After all she has been through, her stomach probably doesn't have the proper bacteria levels.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You can order the B Complex online and I give it IM. It really does perk them up.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Most feed stores should carry B-Complex.. I bought a 250ml bottle at TSC forever ago...less than $10, if I recall. It's an injectable, but you can drench with it if you're not comfortable giving shots.

I've known people who put 6cc's SQ on each side of the goat and then drench with about 15cc's all at once, if they're shipping or showing or breeding heavily, etc..

Not sure that's entirely necessary, but like I said...can't hurt'em with B.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So, I did like 4.3 seconds of reading on "Bio-Sponge" (not much out there) and I'm not sure it's something I'd be giving to a ruminant..

The descriptions talked about how good it was at picking up toxins, virii, and bacteria...which may be fine for a non-ruminant, but if you 'sponge' the wrong bacteria out of a goat's rumen, they could shut down.

I'm with ksal...I think probios is a good idea here.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
With people, extra B vitamins are just pee'd out, so it is hard to overdose. To overdose, you would have to take a tremendous amount, and symptoms would be tingling in the hands and feet and would be temporary. You'd have to take a LOT. It is very safe. It works better orally. Intrinsic factor is needed to utilize some of the B's and that is in the digestive tract, which is bypassed with an injection.

gibbygoats

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Daisy is not the easiest goat to give anything to by mouth. Even the vet had a bit of trouble. I can give it Sub-Q with the help of my husband.

how much would you recomend Sub Q if she's 60 lbs. I know you said I can't OD her but what do you think would be a resonable dose?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Biosponge has been used in alpacas for a while now and they do just fine. Alpacas are also a ruminant. I would definitely do the Probios though.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
gibbygoats said:
Daisy is not the easiest goat to give anything to by mouth. Even the vet had a bit of trouble. I can give it Sub-Q with the help of my husband.

how much would you recomend Sub Q if she's 60 lbs. I know you said I can't OD her but what do you think would be a resonable dose?
As far as I'm concerned, the limitation on B vitamin injection depends simply on what you're comfortable injecting into one site..

I don't personally like to SQ more than 6ml per injection site, even in an adult, so that's usually what I load up. That's just me, though.. It's just a personal preference, too, and I won't even try to defend it should someone come along and tell me that they inject 15ml SQ all the time or whatever. There's no science behind my preference, to my knowledge...just something about the size of a 12ml or larger syringe in relation to a goat that makes me go....NO WAY I'm injecting all that. :lol:

I think it's worth pointing out that I use regular ol' Durvet b-complex, and I think it's kinda weak, frankly.. Agrilabs Fortified B has more of each B vitamin per cc, so you can actually inject less volume and get more B into the animal.

Anything's better than nothing, though, if the goat needs to have its GI stimulated.. Get what you can get, as soon as you can get it, and just deliver it "IG" as best you can...

IG meaning "In Goat," of course.. :gig