Blazing Acres 1st Kidding Thread:samssimonsays olive surprise!

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I just purchased a supposed to be bred doe. She's not showing at all. But, all does present different. Good luck with the ptest! :fl

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
@samssimonsays

Did you see your does get bred or did you just pen them with the buck for a few months?
I hand bred Olive and Tilda and I penned May with the buck and Scarlet with the other buck. Scarlet and May don't show signs of heat and we were dealing with Rumely and Sadie's epilepsy and I didn't want to miss a year with them so bit the bullet and just turned them out with them.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used to breed that way and it is certainly easier and I may do it again next year but I will put a marking harness on my buck so I know which does are bred. I will change the crayon in the harness to a different color every week or two so I know the dates too. I also have a bunch of does that don't show their heats very well. This year was the worst and I have does due almost everyday for about a month. UGH!!! Just ordered another barn cam last night, my goal is one for each pen and this will make 4 so I need two more.

Hope that the tests are positive and correct, they sure can hide those kids. On a first timer I really look at udders more than sides. They often have a single the first time so they may not get very big.

samssimonsays

Reaction score
I used to breed that way and it is certainly easier and I may do it again next year but I will put a marking harness on my buck so I know which does are bred. I will change the crayon in the harness to a different color every week or two so I know the dates too. I also have a bunch of does that don't show their heats very well. This year was the worst and I have does due almost everyday for about a month. UGH!!! Just ordered another barn cam last night, my goal is one for each pen and this will make 4 so I need two more.

Hope that the tests are positive and correct, they sure can hide those kids. On a first timer I really look at udders more than sides. They often have a single the first time so they may not get very big.

I don't know ho wyou do it! I would be worn out to say the least.

So far there is no udder development on anyone. My two were dried off completely in August, when my Grandpa got sick as I couldn't keep up with that and family things at that time, so they have no udder at all left. I keep checking and they hate it. And the two first up, Olive and Tilda, are my FF's My second Fresheners, May and Scarlet, are the two who showed no heat cycles and are the "skinny" ones. I say "skinny" because they are not actually skinny, just not showing LOL. May had twins as a FF and Scarlet a single. Olives mom knew how to throw a party as she had only twins her first year and last year with triplets the 5 years in between that. Tilda was from a doe who had twins all 3 years she was bred, tilda was a year three baby and I am no longer in contact with her so I have no clue what the doe has had since.

samssimonsays

Reaction score
First goat tested was olive. Shed be due match 24th, possibly two weeks later as she cycled again two weeks after we bred her the first time and I bred her again. Says she's late term. that's fairly accurate, right?
20170216_195037.jpg

I will be testing my other girls this weekend. It was dark when I got home and have to wash the containers and syringe in between each test.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just purchased a supposed to be bred doe. She's not showing at all. But, all does present different. Good luck with the ptest! :fl
I was wondering what breed?