Blazing Acres 1st Kidding Thread:samssimonsays olive surprise!

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Olives udder doubled in a day. It is still small but :ep I can't believe it popped so quickly! I am starting to wonder (and worry) that she will go THIS week instead of two weeks from now. Of course we have now dropped to "Unseasonably cold" for our area.... getting that heat lamp ready tonight!

samssimonsays

Reaction score
Just did my first bed time check of my first kidding season..... These temps and her dropping have me nervous. Her udder is not looking any different from yesterday, ligs still there. Baby movement at feeding. No signs at all but yet I have a fear and a feeling in my gut abiut something I'm not sure about.... It is that knot feeling I get when I know something is wrong but not what it is? I hate it. Barn seemed warm in there, water was not frozen which is a good sign but doesn't mean fresh wet babes wouldn't get chilled.... Just worry.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Take a deep breath- just keep watching her and go from there. Try not to stress too much :hugs

You are right, she very well could go this week (or maybe not LOL). Our alpine doe didn't get her udder until she kidded.

Looking forward to the babies!

samssimonsays

Reaction score
That's my concern lol. We've dropped back down into single digits and aren't making it above freezing as a high for temps so that's what has me rattled. And somehow I have two due dates a day apart in my phone calander. One says the 23rd so I think that one may be right as it was entered on my phone that day? I don't know....i do know that one day isn't exactly a big deal lol. But either way. The temps have me nervous.

samssimonsays

Reaction score
Today is Olive's first due date, still no signs and for that I am thankful. I am not anxious about when she will have them or what to do. I am worried about IF she has them with these darn temps! The barn is bedded down with extra hay and staying very warm with not even a thin layer of ice over the water so I am hoping that is enough. She is stalled with Scarlet, our Nubian doe who is a phenomenal mother and super gentle. Hopefully if Olive flakes and doesn't know what she is doing she will step in and help.... I don't know. They have a very good relationship and Scarlet is always protecting Olive so..... Olive is also not stressed anymore now that Scarlet is with her, before she was very upset. Last night the baby was not as active, but night before is was like it was trying to climb out of her left side.... it had to have fully extended all of its legs out all the way as it was a perfect triangle on her side and I felt feet :ep She just looked at me with this pathetic look that screamed "make it stop". Other than that, she is still her normal self and no change. I keep checking her udder, ligs and for discharge. Unless it hits May with no kid from her I will not be a victim of the doe code. You can quote me on that later when I fall victim :hide We do bed checks now, just in case. And morning checks, just in case. And I am spending more time just loving on her during chores because she loves her people and without May in with her she gets all the people loves.

But since everyone loves a good picture,
olive day 149.JPG

samssimonsays

Reaction score
We are to be getting more freezing rain tonight and into tomorrow with a "wintery mix" I guess. They highs in the high 30's to low 40's mid day but back down to 20's or so at night. Past two days were single digits in the am though. So anything higher is better..... I want to avoid using the heat lamp at all costs but I will if necessary.