Blind Goat Kid

Physhyr

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have 3 week old twin goats, Pebbles and Bam Bam. They got really sick when they were just two days old and Bam Bam's eyes clouded over rendering him blind. The vet put them both on antibiotics, and Bam Bam got drops for his eyes. Other the blindness, both babies have recovered. Pebbles is very active, but Bam Bam doesn't like to move around much because he can't see. The cloudiness is starting to go away- it is no longer across the entire eye but rather just around the pupils so there is a chance he will get at least some sight back. My question is how can I help Bam Bam gain confidence to move around more? He will take a couple steps off his blanket, but since that's his safe spot he won't go far. When Pebbles follows me around the house he cries for her and I feel bad, but if I leave her behind she cries for me. I just want my babies to grow up well adjusted and happy. I've bottle raised kids before but never a blind one.

Attachments

• 16169876698475215261662116265444.jpg
    16169876698475215261662116265444.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 130

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have 3 week old twin goats, Pebbles and Bam Bam. They got really sick when they were just two days old and Bam Bam's eyes clouded over rendering him blind. The vet put them both on antibiotics, and Bam Bam got drops for his eyes. Other the blindness, both babies have recovered. Pebbles is very active, but Bam Bam doesn't like to move around much because he can't see. The cloudiness is starting to go away- it is no longer across the entire eye but rather just around the pupils so there is a chance he will get at least some sight back. My question is how can I help Bam Bam gain confidence to move around more? He will take a couple steps off his blanket, but since that's his safe spot he won't go far. When Pebbles follows me around the house he cries for her and I feel bad, but if I leave her behind she cries for me. I just want my babies to grow up well adjusted and happy. I've bottle raised kids before but never a blind one.
Man.... that is really tough....

:hugs

Sadly, I would.... uh.... :hide eat the blind one.

So yeah... I am no help.