*!!!BLM Plans to Sterilize All Wild Horses in 2 HMA in Wyoming!!!*

TigerLily Trail Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score

BlondeSheep

Just born
Reaction score
Good afternoon friend. Can you explain to me why this plan is detrimental to the feral horses? From my understanding of the article, it is only going to be implemented in two areas, and there are other areas in the United States inhabited by feral horses who will not be gelded or spayed. Since these animals are non-natives, I don't understand why this new plan is offensive to mustang enthusiasts. I am just trying to expand my knowledge, not start a fight, so I hope this question is taken in the correct way. Thank you!

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. Many of these horses ended up for sale to the public or otherwise culled because there are too many in some areas, so I really wonder why limiting the breeding population is such a bad thing? Maybe the remaining herd could remain free if their numbers are controlled. It's only a couple of areas, not the entire wild herd.

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yeah but there is this whole huge can of worms where some people do not want Thing One done to mustang or feral horse herds.

Go look at how the same thread's going on BYC.

Personally I think it's a quite reasonable pilot program to try, would have to see how the results vs costs turn out.

JMHO,

Pat

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I wonder if just giving the stallions a vasectomy would be enough to solve the problem? Not gelding him....just snip snip. They'd would still act like stallions, they just be sterile. Seems like spaying a mare would be terribly invasive though. And gelding a stallion would change his whole attitude and could bring about chaos in the wild herd. I know of some Anatolian shepherd breeders/owners that choose vasectomy over neutering so the dog retains the characteristics they want in the dog.

I read through the thread at BYC....pretty ugly. I can see both sides having valid points.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I personally don't have an opinion one way or the other.

BUT - those mustangs are NOT a native species. They are introduced.

I've read through both feeds on BYH and BYC...the other thread is very, shall we say "provoking".

I will say that if the OP didn't want a debate on the subject, then maybe they shouldn't have posted the thread. A debate can be done without attacking the other side.

Carry on...

rockdoveranch

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Can someone please post the link to this subject that is on BYC. I could not find it. Do I have to be a member to see it?

Thanks.

TigerLily Trail Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I didnt realize so many people felt negatively about this topic. Im going to ask to have it removed but I think its rather childish that everyone wants to flock to the BYC post to see what kinda trouble happened there. How disappointing :(

rockdoveranch

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
~*Save the Mustangs*~ said:
I didnt realize so many people felt negatively about this topic. Im going to ask to have it removed but I think its rather childish that everyone wants to flock to the BYC post to see what kinda trouble happened there. How disappointing :(
"I think its rather childish that everyone wants to flock to the BYC post to see what kinda trouble happened there."

If you are referring to my post, I was unaware that that "trouble happened there" on BYCs. There were not many posts here so I simply wanted to see what others had to say.

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
~*Save the Mustangs*~ said:
you are blowing this way out of proportion. "flocking" there to see what happened is not a bad thing. We are childish because we ant to see all sides and not just yours??? What's wrong with that?