Bloat aftercare?

mirandaleecon

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We just experienced our first case of bloat this weekend with a doe we just got about two months ago. We noticed her acting standoffish when she is normally friendly and I think we caught it pretty early. Offered her baking soda but she wasn't interested. Gave her a drench of oil and baking soda and massaged her belly but that did not seem to do anything. We didn't have a tube on hand so finally I decided to use an 18g needle to puncture her rumen and that relieved a lot of the pressure. It smelled awful, blech!
Thankfully she seems to be on the mend but still not 100%. I tried to get c&d antitoxin but my vet doesn't carry it and tractor supply was out. I can get it on Jeffers but not sure if it would do anything at this point. I also gave her probios today.
I'm a bit worried because she just had twins about 3 weeks ago and she seems to walk away every time I see them try to nurse. Not sure if it's just because I'm around though.
She is also still holding her tail down which means she is uncomfortable, right? And I'm pretty sure I smelled a fart from her earlier that about knocked me out. Never smelled gas like that from any other goats. Not to be gross but it was like diarrhea gas mixed with methane, best way I can describe it. Is this just because her stomach is upset or could there be something else going on?
Anything else I could be doing to get her stomach back on track besides the probios?
Any advice would be appreciated!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you take a temperature?
Have you run her fecal?

With her kidding 3 weeks ago I would be looking at other factors.
The above are the first two things to look at.

Why do you think she had bloat? What were your indicators?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ditto what SBC said!

You didn't mention if you were giving her grain - but if so - I would stop for a while. Get her on a good quality hay and keep up the probiotics.

Last edited:

Latest posts