1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Meet Pearl, New Horse - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Bloat or just getting fat?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Goats' started by Babushka Blue, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Jun 15, 2018
    Babushka Blue

Babushka Blue Chillin' with the herd

Hi,

I have had these guys for only about a month. The black one has always been a little bigger. I cant tell if thid would be considered bloat or if he is just getting a bit fat. He also has kinda shaggy hair which makes him fluffier. I fed him some grain mixed with baking soda a little while ago just in case. Wondering what the more experienced opinions are..
    He is bending over in the pic where he looks really big, so that may be a bit misleading. Also - the collage is the same pic three times. I couldnt figure out how to delete it. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Jun 15, 2018
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Looks OK to me... :hu Generally when a goat has bloat, you don't want to feed additional grain... that just makes things worse. You want to restrict to water and hay only...

Babushka Blue likes this.
  3. Jun 16, 2018
    Babushka Blue

Babushka Blue Chillin' with the herd

Thank you

4. Jun 16, 2018
    goats4us

goats4us Chillin' with the herd

I have one that I was worried about, too. Has a larger abdomen than the others, but it's not firm if I push on her and she's in no distress. She's also much larger than the others all the way around so I wasn't sure if it's normal or not. Been just keeping an eye on her and no changes. Should we nix the grain for a few days?

5. Jun 16, 2018
    Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Herd Master

No bloat, and not fat.

Never judge the body condition by the belly. I would have a fecal checked, his belly isn't bloated, but he may have a bit of a "pot belly" if he has parasites or cocci. Do they have minerals? The black goat looks like he has a rough coats (could be cocci, parasites, mineral issues), and possibly a little underweight. The other goat in the pic looks like a little lean. Did the breeder have the kids on cocci prevention? What is their diet? How old are they?