Bloat?

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have had a very hard time with goats. I'm technically a new goat owner, if over a year is still considered new. I've had 4 goats die. I'm left with 2.

I purchased 3 at an auction about 4 months ago. 2 died from worms within a week (fecal test confirmed MASSIVE amounts), purchased them at an auction and I believe they were just too far gone at that point. No wonder they were cheap. Treated with Ivermectin drench and just couldn't get them to make a full recovery.

The 1 that lived, seemingly healthier than the other even at purchase was happy and healthy until this morning. I called her Nelly, as she was a Nervous Nelly. Pretty and as nice as could be. She would have been almost a year next month. As of last night, she was still her talkative friendly self.

We found her this morning almost unresponsive. Shallow breaths, with a moan or cry with each one. She would move her head slightly but almost as if she was paralyzed. She had a big belly, but nothing abnormally large that I would have though bloat, and it was not localized to the left side. I can't think of anything else it might be??? She had no diarrhea, eye lids were normal, she was not lethargic, she was eating and drinking normally.

That being said, I have another doe who is looking quite large, and I'm hoping she's finally pregnant. She's a year and a half old. But, now I'm super scared that she may have something wrong with her too. :barnie:confused::(

Besides a necorpsy there is no way to know what really happened. So out of the 6 goats I've tried to raise, I have 2 left. I'm feeling I've lost the battle, and want to give up trying. :(:( I just can't emotionally handle these poor things dieing. When someone said "goats are hard"...I just never realized.

Thanks for any ideas on what it could have been...

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Im sorry I cannot be of any help but I will tag a few people @babsbag @Goat Whisperer @Southern by choice

Im so sorry you have had such a rough go of things :( I too had trouble in the begginning with my sheep, lost more than I wouldve hoped too. I suggest when purchasing your next goats don't go to an auction. There are some sketchy people there who sell very sickly animals just for a few bucks.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I have not had experience in this area but HUGS!!!

I went through people who had been raising for years and even with a controlled worm load at the time of purchase, a bloom happens shortly after the stress of the move. IF you go through with getting anymore goats, have yours tested for CAE, CL and Johnes before bringing in anything new as well as a quarantine area for the new animals who should be tested clean as well to avoid the added heartbreak. Even with buying from a reputable breeder with healthy animals there is no guarantee but it will be a better foot forward with peace of mind knowing that they had a good start and the other animals are also healthy.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry you are having such a rough time with goats. :hugsYou probably know this now, but buying a goat at an auction is not a great idea. It would be much better to find a breeder that knows what they are doing and is willing to work with you and help you be successful. I bought my first goats off of Craigslist so not much better than an auction sometimes, but I got lucky and my goats were healthy, but I had NO IDEA what I was doing. I found a good vet and a good mentor and that made a huge difference in my success or failure.

There is no way to know what happened without a necropsy. I would consider having one done if you can. If not all you can do is try to weed out the possibilities. Was she current on her CDT shots? Was there any chance she got into some bad feed or hay...moldy? Any chance she got into chicken feed or excessive grain?

Bloat will interfere with their breathing and it is painful. I am sorry you lost your Nellie. Goats are hard in the sense that they don't show signs of sickness until they are often really really sick. I have had them die overnight as well, fine at night, dead in the morning. It stinks.

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the nice response. I'm going to call my vet and see about having the 2 remaining goats testing for all 3. After that...go from there. If I didn't and I just brought more goats on board, I'd be asking for more heartbreak with no one to blame but my self for being so selfish.

I will strongly shy away from auctions. Although this is a nice way to get an inexpensive goat, you get what you pay for. By now I was hoping to have the breeding process underway and not have to purchase anymore. I can't get my buck and doe to take...it's been a year. I thought bringing a few more does in the pen might weed out what the problem was. But, now I'm down to the same doe that doesn't seem to want to give it up, even though he is quite the stinky, harassing suitor.

From what I've read up on the CL, CAE and Johnes they are all blood tests. I'll see what the vet says is the best route in obtaining those samples. I've given injections and taken fecal samples before, but never drawn blood.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
You said you have one that you think is bred? You can get a blood test for that too. I used Sage Ag Labs and they can test for all of it. Is she living with the buck?

Chances are VERY VERY VERY good that your goat did not die from CL, CAE, or Johnes but it is good to test for all of those.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just wanted to say I'm sorry you've had such a rough time with your goats, losing them is always hard :hugs

I got my first two sheep off Craigslist a little under 4 years ago, and it's been a combination of good mentors (including many here), a good vet, and a healthy dose of luck that they've done well. I still feel like a beginner sometimes. There are situations I have not dealt with yet, and there is so much more to learn - there always will be.

I think it's great that you're still hanging in there and want to do the best for your goats - I hope things start going well for you!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry :hugs

Most of these goats at the auctions have odds stacked against them, not your fault, people who sell at auctions just do it for a quick $.

I don't know what breeds you raise, but by the looks of your avatar I'd guess boer or boer x. Aren't you in NC? Unfortunately boers really don't do well here :( Many people own them but they will all tell you to expect to find one dead every now and then. We were looking at boers but breeder after breeder told us the same thing.

This goat could have died from many things. Without a necropsy it is hard to know. :(

I would go ahead and have their fecals checked, and go ahead and test for the above diseases. From your post I don't think any of those caused the death of your goat.

Look for a breeder that can help mentor, someone that is willing to teach and help brainstorm when these issues arrive. I would recommend you learn how to check fecals yourself, it is well worth the time and money! I agree with the others on buying from a tested herd!

Again, I am so sorry for your loss. :hugs

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You said you have one that you think is bred? You can get a blood test for that too. I used Sage Ag Labs and they can test for all of it. Is she living with the buck?

Chances are VERY VERY VERY good that your goat did not die from CL, CAE, or Johnes but it is good to test for all of those.
I'm hoping "Moon Pie" is preggers, she's been living with the buck since we got her. Doesn't seem to have any interest in him at all.

I have a vet coming to the house Monday to draw blood, and they will possibly do an ultra sound on her.

Latest posts