Bloated lamb help please!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a lamb who will be 8 weeks old in 2 days, she has been eatting hay normally and taking some grain and getting milk 3 times a day. I got home from work today and she was bloated laying on the floor shallow breathing etc.

We gave her cooking oil then baking soda mixed in water. The bloat went down but is comming back up again and she has been constantly making a clearly uncomfortable noise.

She is pooping and peeing so intestines seem fine. I'm not sure if i should keep giving her the baking soda as she seems to be droooling or burping the water back up. She is laying in a normal position head elevated but still not seeming to feel good and wont stand up. She also had an absess that rupted today and i dont know if that is related.

Anything else i should do? Pen G maybe for the abscess rupture?

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here is a Electrolyte recipe. We have a freind that got a lamb 2 years ago. She had super bad bloat and all she ddi was the recipe. It took 2 weeks for her to be all better.
1 Quart Water
2 Ounces of Dextrose(corn syrup)
1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
She seem to also be having mild seizures...is that a normal bloat symptom?

Thank you Tah we will try that if she seems any better in the next few hours....so far getting her ot keep the baking soda alone down seem a challenge

Reactions: TAH

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you @TAH and @norseofcourse

She is still with us and is making less noise but shaking her head now and then and burping a lot...and still pooping and peeing fine. No standing yet and she keeps bloating back up.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't know sheep but if she were my goat I'd massage her rumin and do everything I can to get her moving. Do you know what kind of boat? Is she current on her CDT? I'd be as worried about overeating disease as the bloat.
This is a good link, it's for goats but I think it would be fine for sheep.
http://goat-link.com/content/view/16/29/#.Vxgq0ez3anM

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you for trying to help but we just lost her. She went into respiratory failure, we tried to resuscitate but it didnt work.