Bloated lamb help please!

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry you lost your baby. Sounds like she had a lot of stuff going on with. I would also be concerned that it was actually enterotoxemia instead of bloat. They can have similar symptoms. As for her blindness episode, was she still blind when she died or had that cleared up? She could have scratched her eyes if her bottom eyelids were inverted. Or, like SBC said, she could had a thiamine problem. How long ago was she treated for the eye issue?

CD&T should be given to ewes/does around 4 weeks before giving birth. The babies should get vaccine at 4 weeks and the 21-28 days later. The dose is the same for adults and babies - 2ml SQ. I give the shot in the armpit. The vaccine sometimes causes a lump at the injection site and if I always give the shot in the same area, then I know for sure whether a lump is caused by a vaccine or sometime else.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
What PQ said. :)

@Latestarter
I really like Dr. Pol but IMO he is not great with goats. Of course we don't get to see everything just clips on the show... but when any vet lances open a CL abscess on an animal and then turns it back into the herd I cringe!

:th

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Vet
Sorry you lost your baby. Sounds like she had a lot of stuff going on with. I would also be concerned that it was actually enterotoxemia instead of bloat. They can have similar symptoms. As for her blindness episode, was she still blind when she died or had that cleared up? She could have scratched her eyes if her bottom eyelids were inverted. Or, like SBC said, she could had a thiamine problem. How long ago was she treated for the eye issue?

CD&T should be given to ewes/does around 4 weeks before giving birth. The babies should get vaccine at 4 weeks and the 21-28 days later. The dose is the same for adults and babies - 2ml SQ. I give the shot in the armpit. The vaccine sometimes causes a lump at the injection site and if I always give the shot in the same area, then I know for sure whether a lump is caused by a vaccine or sometime else.
I agree it is likely endotoxemia, i looked up sumptoms and it fits better then bloat because even when we got the bloat down she was not any improved. She was not blind when she died, she just had like a thin line of a cataract/scar tissue left but she could see quite well as far as i know. I dont think they were inverted they looked perfectly normal like our other lambs and she had really long eyelashes top and bottom. I'm not sure on the thiamine part of things. She was treated until the tube or medicine ran out(14+ days) starting at the age of roughly 2 weeks old.

Vet told me 1ml...i need to learn to read labels. We had twin goats kids born last night...so i assume i can safely vaccinate mom now...but should i vaccinate kids at 4 days or wait until 4 weeks seeing as mom wasnt vaccinated at all for CDT. Someone said or i read 4 days for kids from non-vacinated Does not sure if thats a common practice.

@Latestarter
I really like Dr. Pol but IMO he is not great with goats. Of course we don't get to see everything just clips on the show... but when any vet lances open a CL abscess on an animal and then turns it back into the herd I cringe!
What PQ said. :):th

Yeah i wouldnt be overly happy with that either lol.

Latest posts