• Baking soda

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ducklover2

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
the one that is looks like bloat eats the sweet feed we give them 1 or 2 times a day. Always 1st to dish and eats the most.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Maybe switch off the sweet feed and go to a basic pelleted feed? Then maybe tie them off so you can regulate exact amounts of feed to each?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I mean, use up the sweet feed that you have... no sense wasting it. Just don't buy it anymore if you choose not to. You need to do what you feel works best for your animals in your situation. Maybe use the remaining sweet feed as a special treat for them to train them to come to you when called. :hu

You can get a couple of carabiner clips at the hardware store with a short length of chain or rope between them. Here's a ready made example and they come 2 to a pack for 4 bucks. This particular one is 24" long but they also have 36" ones. More than long enough for the animal to reach its own feed but no one elses. Once you get them in the habit of being clipped to eat, they'll come running and stand there at their spot waiting for their food. This will also make it simple to regulate the exact amount of feed each animal gets. Those needing a little extra can get it and those who need to drop a few pounds can have some withheld.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/python-carabiner-bungee-strap-24-in-pack-of-2?cm_vc=-10005

Get a collar for the animal. Or you can use one of the halters that Bay linked. That would probably work better on sheep as they have thick wool or hair. I have goats, so the collar works well. I use this kind as the attachment ring is on a slide so it doesn't break the stitching and ruin the collar if the animal jerks it.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ustable-reflective-stitch-collar?cm_vc=-10005

Clip the animal to the fence or install a ring bolt where you'll feed them and clip them to that.

Last edited:

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Does it have boy parts too? Only all because my ewes have horns to. Freaked me out when I got then home after driving 20 hours to get them and thinking I'd been cheated.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Stand behind Miss Piggy and take a good look between her/his back legs. If a ram, the evidence will be obvious. Also, rams stand still to pee, it comes from under their belly, ewes scrunch up their back legs a little, the pee comes from under their tail.