bloating rabbits (caution, description may be gross)

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
okay, so have lost several adult breeding does and half grown bunnies this week. the dead ones had distended bellies, one had been listless for a couple days, but nothing i could see or put my finger on. his buddy seemed fine. next morning, both dead and bloated. these are in solid bottom cages with pine shavings, pellets, hay and water bottles. went to check on does in one barn and my checker doe with 3 1/2 week olds babies was in nest box, babies outside eating from feeder(unusual for her to be in box) picked her up and belly distended and she is gasping for air, heart racing, and gums blue from lack of oxygen. called vet to see if anything i could do for her. well, he had never heard of bloat in rabbits. okay, so not like bloat in cattle or goats, more like gas colic in horses. so i rubbed her belly trying to pass the gas along. nope she died in my arms. so baby bunnies went inside with other babies(inside is an insulated portable building). so far they are doing okay. next day husband says want to watch a rabbit die? said no, did that yesterday:( checked on the doe in question, distended belly, gasping for air(she had been grinding teeth for 2 days, not eating much, but drinking) so fostered her 2 week old kits with a doe that only had one. she too died in my arms. so, hubby always has a sharp knife, i said cut her open(it was sunday, couldn't take this one to lab)i wanted to see what was going on. well, the intestines rolled out and continued expanding. parts had feed, but mostly water and air. was also air in abdominal cavity. so, researching this, mycotoxins in the mold in the feed produce the excess gas. so dumped all the pellets, bought fresh, picked thru the hay and set aside the grassier bales just for rabbits. came home last night and 2 more dead, no distended bellies. i am at a loss, and hubby not taking the losses well. any other ideas out there????:/

chickygirl55

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
No idea but hope someone knows id like to know just in case this happens here. Have you tried back yard chickens other pets forum? More people on there. Sorry for your losses. Hope you figure it out. :fl :hugs

JoieDeViveRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
This sounds like a bad bag of feed to me. What are you feeding??? Some breeders have had a hard time with some feeds causing bloat and death in a good portion of their herd.
There certainly is bloat in rabbits, as you've sadly found out :(
Once you notice ANY symptoms start agressively dosing with baby Gas Drops, Mylicon, etc. You can give up to an entire dropper to each rabbit every hour. It makes the individual gas bubbles meld together to become bigger easier to pass bubbles.
At this point, check every rabbit for bloat. Even babies. Check your feed for visible corn or spoilage.

I am so sorry you are going through this. ((Hugs))
Please keep us updated and if you want you can email me privately as sometimes I am here alot and then I get busy and don't come on for a few days...

Latest posts