Blood after breeding?

Gabriella

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My girls were just officially bred for the first time. (I say officially because a buck got in with them a few times with previous owner but we have no idea if they successfully bred...though I've had my suspicions of pregnancy.) Each time 1 of my girls was bred she would spot bright red from her lady part...4 times total this happened. Is this normal with FF? The buck was smaller than them as he was a ND and they are full size.

Attachments

• 20200910_145327.jpg
    20200910_145327.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 129

MuldrowHomeFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have seen blood after breeding but not regularly. FF mostly. We have one large Kandahar Buck that mates our bigger girls and we have several smaller bucks to mate our smaller girls. Blood can mean several things, not all bad.

Gabriella

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have seen blood after breeding but not regularly. FF mostly. We have one large Kandahar Buck that mates our bigger girls and we have several smaller bucks to mate our smaller girls. Blood can mean several things, not all bad.
Okay, good to know!! We bred these girls with a smaller buck...a Nigerian Dwarf buck. I never saw her stand Very well for him so, do you think that's a good indicator that he "got her" 🤣

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
If asking because he is smaller and you have doubts --- I'd say yes. Remember, it isn't just the length of his legs, add 1/2 the belly length. And because they are willing participants, the doe will usually squat for the buck.

Plus...Depending on how much/fast this blood appears....it may even be from the buck.

MuldrowHomeFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Trust us, he got her. They are acrobats and will stand on things to get the job done. Problem is, him getting her doesn't guarantee a pregnancy.