Blood in the urine

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a 5 year old, possibly bred (mid to late May due date), Nigerian/LaMancha cross doe who appears to have blood, or something dark, in her urine. She does not seem to be in pain. I took her temperature and it was 101.7. She is eating and lounging around pretty much as normal. I rubbed along her underside and didn't get any odd feeling places or more than the usual "don't touch me there" reaction.

Any suggestions? I thought she might have a bladder infection but the absence of a temp blows that out of the water, doesn't it?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Sometimes there can be infection without fever. But there are other possibilities too.

First, I would take a white paper towel and soak some up to get a better view of the color. Sometimes shadows and such can just make it seem like the urine is darker than it is.

Has she recently kidded? Do you use copper supplements? Is there any chance she has eaten something toxic? What is her feeding regimen?

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Will get the paper towel and follow her around for color confirmation.

She has not recently kidded. I do copper bolus once a year; she was done 10 months ago.

Not much chance of her getting to anything toxic. I dry lot and the girls get grain and all the hay they can eat.

All my goats have been eating off of the current round bale for 2 weeks now.

The pen she is in gets a handful of the green grass on top of their evening hay. They have been getting that for a week now. Grass is not sprayed with any chemicals.

This goat is the only one I've seen with the dark urine.

Will advise on the paper towel test.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, if you ever want to feel like a pervert just follow a goat around waiting for her to pee. The urine is dark, like old blood is mixed in it. On a white paper towel the color becomes buff-ish. There is no noticeable odor.

Any suggestions? I have both penicillin and tetracycline (oral powder) on hand if either would be useful.

Thanks!

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If she is behaving normally, eating well and active with a normal temperature I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep a close eye on her for any changes.

All of our goats think we are perverts. During kidding season I go down the line at feed time every night with a flashlight and look at their hoos hoos. Then I grab and do a teatty check for any that look close.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks to all who read and replied. I appreciate your input ver much. The doe is doing all her normal stuff, being obnoxious, eating, pushing others around,... you know, being a pregnant doe, so I'll just watched her for a few more days to see if something else weird happens.

Yeah, my girls are use to me grabbing little teats from behind. It was just so different following one around until she squatted. The things we do to make sure our animals are healthy and right.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Sorry I got a bit delayed. If it is a normal shade of beige yellow, no worries. Sometimes it just looks dark for any number of reasons, but with no blood in it and so long as it doesn't smell weird, all good.