Blood with unknown source

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
So I just checked up on my lambs and one of them jad some blood on her but I cannot find the wound. Is it okay to shave that part to see if I can find the source? I checked the others and they have no injuries. I am at a total loss right now. Thank you!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
IMHO, it's always alright to shave an area to investigate a possible wound... I mean you have the welfare of the animal to worry about. I don't know if it's me, but that doesn't look like blood to me, more like clay-ish mud dirt... Hope it's nothing serious.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would be looking at the others animals in the pen. If it is blood, it doesn't look like it came from her. Part the wool and feel with your fingers. If you feel anything suspicious, go ahead and clip the area if you feel that's best.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with earlier posts....doesn't look like blood really. Blood tends to blacken.

Some dirty water from another the hooves of another sheep when they are lying down together or rusty water from a gate or fence as Mini Horses suggests seem to be the likeliest causes.

Latest posts