Blossom: A Nubian’s Story

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Had to share some of sweet Blossom that I took this morning when I took some quick pics of the others to share.

I told y’all that she really likes people.
150ED516-0E80-493A-9509-5FBD2A987600.jpeg

083E9444-9BD2-4D1E-88DD-84290CD0256A.jpeg

An attempt on my own to show you how pale her mucosa is...it appears more pink in the pic than it truly is. She got plenty of lovins after I bothered her.
6E0423FB-17D7-4CDC-A261-C9539AC59950.jpeg

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Blossom is still getting all of the quality grass hay and water she wants. Everything else is very limited. I pick her some fresh grass every day. She was eating it like she was starving but has only pushed it around the last two days. She gets about 3/4 cup of sweet feed twice daily. A very small handful of goat mineral every other day.

We also noticed that she has been sitting on her knees some the last two days. She still climbs on the gate and walks normally so it can’t be anything too bad...I don’t think...ugh! She could be foundered or her feet could be sore where I trimmed her hooves on Friday. I was careful not to take them down to where they are supposed to be but took off everything she could trip over and made sure she had a flat surface to walk on. They look a 1000x better but still have a ways to go.

As far as her meds go, she got a dose of Red Cell tonight and a ProBios. She will start SafeGuard tomorrow. We will continue the Red Cell Daily and give a ProBios every few days. The plan is to recheck a stool in 21 days.

Blossom greets us each time we go in the barn. She hasn’t made a noise yet. She’s definitely nosy and likes to climb on things to see what we are up to better. The kids picked her out a brand new bright red collar.

I start to think about breeding her down the road but remind myself that she has to test negative for everything (I need to get that done but part of me hates to pull blood on her right now...) and survive this horrible bout with worms and extreme malnutrition. One day at a time.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Overdue update on Blossom:

We ended up giving her Thursday off. (I don’t recall why now.) On Friday, Saturday, and Sunday she got Safeguard and Red Cell once each day. Last night was a night off. Tonight will be Red Cell and ProBios.

Thursday night she jumped out of her pen and I found her laying at the opposite end of the barn on Friday morning. She now has cattle gates on the lower sides of her pen.

Blossom likes to see what I’m up to so she looks over each side of her pen depending on where I am. Of course this gets her lots of attention too!

We are only feeding her a cup of sweet feed twice a day. She hasn’t been finishing it right away like she was at first. She has free access to good quality grass hay and fresh water.

She still kneels some but not as much as she was.

We are going to weigh her tonight after the rest of the Does get weighed for their worming. I don’t expect her to have gained drastically but I hope to see some slow progress. I’ll also try to get an updated pic while she’s out of her pen.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Great news!!!

When Ruby took a turn for the worse, she dropped to 98lbs. It was terrible. Once we changed treatments, she ended up gaining over 25lbs in a month. It was just shy of a pound a day. I have never seen anything like it. So happy for you and Blossom!