blue eyed beautiful (shy) buck

1crazybird

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have been working on this beautiful boy (dodge) buck. He is so painfully shy, I say painful because it is a pain to get any work done on him! I love him dearly and have been making myself present everyday. I guess this is not a question type thread but more of a progressive thread about breaking his shyness.
As of today I had him nine months. In those nine months I have gotten no where. He knows I feed him and will not just leave. Lol until I removed him from the girls. I did this in a reluctant way. I know goats are herd animals. It seems to be working though. Now when I bring his food in I will stand by it until he approaches it. I then started leaving my hand on the bowl. In the last couple days, I can scratch all the way to his ears! Triumph is when I can walk up to him without food and my husband standing near by. But this feels so good to earn his trust!
I have never done this before, I am new at goat herding and handling. If anyone has advice I would love to try it out!
FB_20160405_09_36_57_Saved_Picture.jpg
FB_20160405_09_36_57_Saved_Picture.jpg
FB_20160405_09_35_52_Saved_Picture.jpg

1crazybird

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The picture of him in the cage is the day I bought him. So you can see he was already a few months old. Lol. Seems to me he didn't have much handling before hand either.

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You're doing a great job with him. :thumbsup He's a very beautiful buck indeed! What breed is he?

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you can get a halter or collar on him, you can train him and that might help. Look up clicker training shy goats, and it will bring up what you are looking for. He is such a cutie:love:love.

1crazybird

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I do have a collar on him. I will give it a go. Is it like training a dog?

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes it is. Start with teaching him to touch your hand on command. Our buck knows shake bear hug touch down licks and kisses, we are working on bow. Hope it works for you.

1crazybird

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Wow, never even thought of it! That is super awesome!!!

Reactions: TAH