BoboFarm's Journal

BoboFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I figured I'd come out of the shadows and post about my recent rabbit shenanigans! I found a very nice used cage on Craigslist a couple of weeks ago. It's 36" x 30", has urine guards and a plastic tray. It's deeper than I'd like but for $50 I couldn't pass it up. I also got rabbits to go into said cage :D Last Friday I picked up a couple of Californians. They're 8 and 9 weeks old as of Sunday. I'm going to give them another week or two until we process them.

I really want New Zealands but these Californians were available so I figured why not. The NZ breeder that I've been in contact with bred her NZWs and is expecting litters in the next couple of days. These litters will be unrelated so we're hoping come July I'll have the beginnings of my rabbit herd! :weee

Sausage is in the front. She's 9 weeks old. Enchilada is in the back and she's 8 weeks old.
Rabbits.jpg
Rabbits2.jpg

BoboFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just checked weights. Sausage is 3lbs 12oz and Enchilada is 3lbs 8oz.

Their siblings just won grand champion 4H meat pen at the WCC this past weekend! They have nice type but I'm being told that they're small for their age. I'm ok with that. We've considered keeping one to breed but I'd really like NZs. Time will tell.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I thought NZs crossed with CAs was the "ideal" meat carcass? :hu Maybe keep just one and give it a try and see how it pans out as opposed to PB NZs?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Oh... sorry... saw the post about sausage and enchilada and just assumed there was meat rabbits in your future... Completely understand the PB for showing. Good luck with that! :)

BoboFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
These gals are my experiment so to say. We want to be sure that raising rabbits is something we want to do before diving too far in and investing in cages and good breeding stock. Plus we're still waiting to get our shed up to put rabbits in. These gals are on my back porch right now. Definitely not a permanent situation.