Boer Bottle Baby w/Folded up ears

Charlottesweb

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
:(
My first lil goat Charlotte is such a doll, however the bottom tips of her floppy ears are folded up about a half inch, they looked like they've been ironed in place. Other than this she is perfect, awesome conformation, 2 teats. What do I know lol. Is this a default and is it genetic--should she not be bred? Many thanks for the help!

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It is normal, but annoying.

You can pull them apart and tape them down with cardboard to flatten them.

It is some what genetic, but not considered a real big deal.

It would be considered a fault, If it was folded the long way leading to a small tube going into the ear canal.

Charlottesweb

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
:)
Thank you 20 kids. I am so afraid if I try to pull it apart she will start bleeding. She's 5 wks old. What causes this?

neener92

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
My dh has the job of 'unsticking' the stuck ears (although we haven't had any from Bullitt or Saturday this year - just realized that...).
He does it right after their born, and I spray iodine on it until they dry up / heal over. Most grow hair back over the spots and you can never tell. If they try to recurl, we just fold them the other way and put a bit o' medical tape around it. By the time it falls off, the ear is 'trained' to go the other way.

neener92

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
My dh has the job of 'unsticking' the stuck ears (although we haven't had any from Bullitt or Saturday this year - just realized that...).
He does it right after their born, and I spray iodine on it until they dry up / heal over. Most grow hair back over the spots and you can never tell. If they try to recurl, we just fold them the other way and put a bit o' medical tape around it. By the time it falls off, the ear is 'trained' to go the other way.
Do you have any pictures of kids that have had their ears snapped?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
neener92 said:
20kidsonhill said:
That "SNAPPING" of the ear sounds painful. :p
I think this was done to my doe, Gabrielle, her ears still have a place at the end where it looks like it used to be folded, and her ears are really really long. Interesting info!
I have had some born with just a horizontal crease line near the bottom and not a complete fold. they look like they were folded. and I have had some born with a complete fold.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
This is the only one I can find, it's right after he's unstuck it.....it doesn't bleed, it's just a raw spot.
I wouldn't do it if the kids were out in icky conditions, but since we bottle raise / keep them in a clean room, I don't worry about them getting infected.

snap.jpg

neener92

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Very interesting...learn something new everyday with goats! Thanks for the pic Rolls!