Boer breeders, I need some sanity please (Update with photo)

chickenrunnin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
When I purchased my Boer Doe, I was told that she was to kid the last week of July or the first week of August. Well that has come and gone. I am certain they were off in their dates. She is just fine and progressing nicely. I just wish I knew exactly when she was going to do it. I find myself everynight going outside to check on her at least 2 times a night. I decided that I was just going to quit expecting and she would have them (doesnt help me much, as I have only tried at night to forget). We had always had whethers growing up so this pregnant thing is driving me nuts. My hopes in this post is that anyone with experience in Boers could give me some signs of what a Boer looks and acts like prior to. I understand that the dairy goats will bag up prior too, but I have heard that the Boers really dont. I have been checking under the tail daily when she gets her hip rub (which she really enjoys) and her vulva in the last week isnt lets say as tight as it was before. If anyone could give me a piece of mind, you have no idea, how much you are actually saving my sanity. I hope I wasnt this bad when "I" was actually "kidding". :D

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Our boer bagged up forever before kidding out...I think that mostly depends on the individual animal.

Check the ligaments on her tailhead.. When they soften, you're generally getting pretty close. Sometimes, though, they soften, then come back, then soften again, then come back, etc..

Goats are really, really good at hiding pregnancies and impending labor, btw...like, ninja good.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Kidding season is the most stressful time for us humans. No matter how many times I've done it over the years, it still drives me nuts and I hand breed so I know the exact date to expect the kids! And cmJust0 is absolutely right ... these girls are pros at hiding pregnancies and impending labor. The last month or so, I check so often they have gotten to where they see me coming, group up, look over their shoulders at me and say, "OMG, here she comes again!" Ligaments softening tells me the time is near. When they totally disappear (and don't pop back up) and the tail seems to be broken, it should be within 12 hours.

chickenrunnin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Please believe me when I say I am not dumb when it comes to animals. But could you possibly take a picture and point to exactly where you are talking about on the tail. She has softened on all areas around the tail area and likes her multi time a day massages on the rump.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The ligaments basically run from the hipbones to the pinbones..

There's a decent illustration about 1/3rd of the way down this page from Fiasco Farm.

Hope it helps!

chickenrunnin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Perfect!!! thanks for the link. Okay, so here is the deal, I had so errands to run this morning and didnt go check on them when I got up. Came home and went to see them. Momma goat as we call her looked very thin today. I looked around to see if she had babies and I didnt see them. Went to give her the daily tail rub and her tail is down when it is normally up. She wouldnt even let me touch it to observe. Maybe today is the day. I am really really trying not to get to excited becuase I felt everyday since the end of July has been the day. Wow, I know I am rambling, you should hear me in person. The excitment is here. I have a gut feeling. I will let you guys know what the verdict is. Thanks so much for easing me through the excitement.

Kel

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
:p LOL You sound like me...!

The only sanity I can offer is...a preggers goat will kid eventually - they DO have to come out of there!!

Good luck!

chickenrunnin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Helmstead, You crack me up in all of your posts....You always have the best words of wisdom :lol:

cmjusto: that link was the best. It was very informative. We should put that up for all first time pregnant goat parenters.

Thanks again "everyone"

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Glad I could help. :thumbsup

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

chickenrunnin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, nothing yet. But this morning I let them all in the back yard to eat and I was in the kitchen and heard goat chatter and looked, momma was on the couch on the porch looking through my kitchen window. I thought I would share the picture. It is sideways due to my phone but you can see anyway. I thought it was funny and wanted to share.
Kelly

761_09-03-09_1044.jpg