Bored?

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
You would think not as they spend all day eating, regurgitating,more eating then sleeping........ but probably they do.

They are herd (flock) animal. They establish a hierarchy and have friends with whom they 'hang out' and 'enemies' which they avoid or fight with. They are sentient beings with (it is said) an ability to recognise at least 40 faces and voices (WAY more than I can). So can they get bored?....yes,I think so, if they aren't given the stimulation of being with their own kind and having varying environments in which to explore.

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The first year I had sheep I thought all my ewes looked extremely bored. So I fed them each time I visited them I would throw them a flake of hay. I also lost my first 2 ewes when it was time to lamb. They were to fat to have lambs. So I learned even if they are looking bored, don't feed them as a way to stimulate them! Not good!

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
In my observations they prefer to be "bored" than over stimulated. As they are a prey animal, most "excitement" is seen as threats. They don't really do "playing" (well lambs definitely do but not past a few months), they do "ahhhh, run for your lives!!!". I have a couple friendly sheep that REALLY like a nice scratch though, some do, some startle everytime I touch them. X2 on not feeding them everytime you see them cause you want something for them to do.

Goats seem inherently much more playful than sheep and seem to really enjoy climbing, brush clearing, running down hills, butting each other, king of the castle, etc.

Singing Shepherd

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It's interesting to read ur observations. I have closely observed my sheep during the last year, wanting to learn all I could cause I am a new shepherd. My own personality has developed several reactions/patterns in them over this time and sometimes I could swear they know what I am saying! I have certainly learned a few things they say to me! I remember when one of my bottle lambs died how devastating it was and how the little twin left alone was effected; then how he reacted to the lamb I brought home as his companion the next week was precious to see-he was so happy. I know that often things we see has human reactions are instinct with them, but they often seem otherwise. I simply love raising them and am so excited to grow my flock this year and see what new things are in store.

Ruus

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My sheep definitely get bored. If they don't have "toys" to play with when they're not busy grazing, they go crazy climbing on everything and tearing stuff up.

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
hmmm, I wonder if different breeds are more of less playful. Mine certainly have a 6th sense and know if I am up to anything out of the ordinary. And I definitely have a couple that love affection, but I would never describe them as playful or wanting to "play", except for the lambs. I have big hair sheep crosses.

Singing Shepherd

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sheepshape those traits you mentioned are in my small flock and I see them use deductive reasoning as well. Woodsie mine are into attention too and one of my guys even though he is a year old, still leaps up into the air from all four hooves like a lamb when he's having a good time jostling with his brother and running around the orchard. Rufus I would be interested in what kind of "toys" you are talking about in your post. And referencing breeds-My Jacob sheep is more playful than my East Fresian.

trampledbygeese

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
hmmm, I wonder if different breeds are more of less playful. Mine certainly have a 6th sense and know if I am up to anything out of the ordinary. And I definitely have a couple that love affection, but I would never describe them as playful or wanting to "play", except for the lambs. I have big hair sheep crosses.

I was wondering this too. Do the more primitive breeds play more than the modern ones?

My friend's Icelandic flock which stayed on our farm for a while would play leap frog (well, leap sheep) with each other, about once a week. Adults and lambs. A bunch of them would stand chewing cud, while the others leaped over them, then the leapers would stand still while the others jumped over them. Always the same rules and usually the same sheep on each 'team'. The dominant ewe will take charge of one 'team' and the second (enforcer) ewe leads the other 'team'.

My Black Welsh Mountain sheep have an old chicken shed in their yard, the four of them go to different sides of the shed, one on each side, so they can't see each other, then they call out in a marco-polo kind of way, all going around the shed in the same direction so that they can hear each other but can't see each other. Then when the finally catch up to each other, they have a chat, and then start the game again. Then when they have had enough of that, they take turns running and jumping through and around the shed in an over-active hide and seek game.

As a new shepherd, I find it a bit disturbing to see such organized play in livestock. It makes me worry that if they are smart enough to play by such strict rules, what would they do if they took exception to me?