Born last night and has diarrhea

BugGal

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a female boer kid that was born last night. She is nursing just fine but has yellow diarrhea.
I am new to this so I don't know if this is normal and it goes away in a day or 2 or if there is something wrong.
If you can help me out I would really appreciate it.
TIA

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
yellow stools for a newborn to a few days, maybe a week is normal. If it is a soft stool that is normal as well..diarrhea is different from soft...diarrhea is not normal and very unusual for a newborn.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
If it is like water then that isn't good but if it is like what @goats&moregoats described that is fine.
Often it will be globby then turn to yellow seedy like clumped teeny tiny pellets... eventually berries. It can take a few weeks.

BugGal

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yesterday it was watery, today it is more like soft serve ice cream or pudding.
She is nursing well and is seeming to be doing alright.
Her mom is a first time mom and is doing very good allowing her to nurse when she wants and keeping a close eye on her.
Thank you for your input. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't need to rush her to the vet.

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:thumbsup...You will find some very knowledgeable people on here. I am still what one would consider a newbie, only about 5 yrs with goats under my belt. That is not much compared to a lot of other folks with 15, 20 or 30 yrs. Most folks are glad to help with some advice. We all love pictures:love! Also want to say welcome to the forum, glad to have you with us.

BugGal

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
:thumbsup...You will find some very knowledgeable people on here. I am still what one would consider a newbie, only about 5 yrs with goats under my belt. That is not much compared to a lot of other folks with 15, 20 or 30 yrs. Most folks are glad to help with some advice. We all love pictures:love! Also want to say welcome to the forum, glad to have you with us.

I have had goats for a total of 6 months now. We had one born Dec 5. Then nothing for several months then in the last 4 weeks we had twins born on April 3, a single born April 26 and then one born today. 3 girls and 2 boys total. As soon as I get my pics uploaded to my pc I will post.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Grats on the babies! Yup, yellow baby goop poop... Mom should be cleaning it off. Kinda be sure she does as it hardens and could get stuck to hair and build up causing blockage.