Born last night and has diarrhea

BugGal

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
At first mom wasn't cleaning it off now she is or at least the backside isn't nasty looking. I thought about going in there with baby wipes but then I saw it was clean. Thank goodness. There again I have done some pretty gross stuff by city standards since we have moved to our farm. Now I don't even think twice about it, cause it has to be done.
Funny how things change when there is no alternative.

bigdog

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a female boer kid that was born last night. She is nursing just fine but has yellow diarrhea.
I am new to this so I don't know if this is normal and it goes away in a day or 2 or if there is something wrong.
If you can help me out I would really appreciate it.
TIA
Most newborn calves and goats, etc. Can developed this diarrhea, it's called scours. My hubs grew up in cow/ calf farm and says that they gave dose of Pepto to the little ones, and clears it up better than Rx from get. Give maybe couple capsful and see.

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Probably too late now... a single birth is useful in that you can take one side and let kid have colostrum and the other side you can milk out to have frozen in case you need it in future. And, if you keep raising goats, you will need it one day.

I always check both sides of udder and start milk. Sometimes the waxy plug can be quite hard for a newborn to suck out. Also, while rare, mastitis can actually start before doe freshens.

Keep an eye on her dam's udder. Often with a single the kid at first doesn't nurse both sides. As they get older and hungrier they usually figure out there are two teats! You might have to milk out mom for a couple of weeks until kid takes it all. Usually once a day will do the job, just milk out both sides completely so that kid is then forced to suck both sides.

Check navel and butt each day to ensure that navel is drying up OK and that butt is not glued shut with poop. Mom should take care of this, but sometimes they don't. After kid is a few days old, it usually is not a problem. Check eyes ever day, too. While inverted eyelids are rare, they do happen. Eyes will be obviously squinted and watery due to eyelashes irritating eye. Easy to fix, so don't panic.

Latest posts