BOSS, Red Cell, Kelp, Cloves questions

goodgirlmolly

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm new to BYH & have read about some really interesting things including:
BOSS - where & what brand do you buy? Can you find organic?
Red Cell - what's this? How is it administered?
Kelp - has anyone used it mixed in with free choice minerals?
Cloves for worming - cool! Powder? Tincture? Baked in a cookie?
I'd love to try it in conjunction with my Molly's.
Thanks in advance:)

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The only thing I can say anything about is that I'm currently testing to see if kelp (Thorvin brand, so far the best that I have seen and the cheapest for me) is a good stand alone mineral source. My goats LOVE it, and they eat it with no trouble at all. This morning I mixed it with their grain and some DE. They still slurped it down, before I had been giving it just plain. I think I should be giving it free choice, but I'm afraid of how much they would eat! They always beg for more, and literally lick the bowl spotless.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
BOSS - I just buy whatever brand is at TSC. Found it to be the cheapest in my area

Red Cell - is an Iron supplement in liquid formula that you can get at TSC in the horse section, never used it so not sure on dose or anything

Kelp - haven't tried it, I use Sweetlix Meatmaker loose goat mineral for my goats and that seems to be working well for them

Cloves - powder is fine, not sure if you should use it in conjunction with Molly's herbs though.

goodgirlmolly

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info! My guys love kelp too but it is expensive so for now they get free choice mins and I add kelp to their weekly "Molly's".
Have a great day, guys! Thanks again;)

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Where do you buy kelp and what is the average price? Is it in a 50# sack? I've only seen it in the health food store for a pretty penny. We don't have too many wingnuts like me around here, so I doubt the feedstores carry it....is that where you get it?

Anyone know the mineral content of kelp? As in, copper?!?

goodgirlmolly

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I 'm really embarrassed to say that I bought a pound at the healthfood store & it was wicked expensive! I *think* I saw it for sale through Poulin or Green Mountain but it's still pricey! With only 5 goats I may be able to get away with it.

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Where do you buy kelp and what is the average price? Is it in a 50# sack? I've only seen it in the health food store for a pretty penny. We don't have too many wingnuts like me around here, so I doubt the feedstores carry it....is that where you get it?

Anyone know the mineral content of kelp? As in, copper?!?
http://www.thorvin.com/kelp_for_plant_analysis.htm

Ab 50# bag costs about $50,and lasts quite a long time. I am goin to order it, as my feed store won't , being in Canada and all--, it's gonna cost me $25 to have it shipped to my hubby's PO box int he states. I still think it might be worht it.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Looking at the analysis, copper is only 4 ppm in kelp. For example, my Sweetlix mineral has 1750 ppm. For goats you would need a much better copper source. Not saying you can't use kelp, but goats need a lot more copper than most animals.

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Azure Standard carries kelp as well. 50# bag costs about $55ish - no shipping if you're on one of there delivery routes. As long as your in a group setting that meets the drop minimum individual minimum is only$50.00.

Being new to goats I did not want to buy 50 pounds to start with for my two does so I bought the "people" version instead of the thorivin animal version (I believe it's still the thorivin brand, repackaged by Azure but the grade for human consumption) and it's 5# for about $10.00. Not as cost effective but if you're not sure if you want to use it it's a good place to start.

Debbi

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I get mine from Azure Standard. Because I'm in Alaska I do have to pay extra shipping, but not much. It costs me about $73 for a 50lb bag. Each goat receives 1/2 oz a day, so each bag should last me nearly a year.