Bot fly eggs. What do you do when you see them on your animals?

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I recently spotted bot fly eggs on everyone's hair. The horses will not be a problem to remove the eggs. But I don't think I can get my goats to stand still for the egg removal. Especially the one girl, she won't let me handle her much at all.

What do you do when you spot bot fly eggs? Any goat wormers that take care of bots?

valmom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She won't let you get to her to groom? I use a disposible razor to take off the eggs on the horses, but they may be tamer than goats.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You can also swab the eggs with tea tree oil as it will kill the eggs but keep your eye on it.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You can actually buy bot egg scrapers from most tack shops and co-ops in the horse section...

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If your goat wormer has Ivermectrin in it, it will kill bots in their systems. I routinely rotate my horse wormers so that they get Ivermectrin in the fall, when bots usually lay their eggs. (Horse wormers now have 4 different drugs to rotate.) Check with your vet, as well.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I do use Ivermectin on the horses, but I have yet to find Ivermectin for goats. (the selection of goat products is very sparse) I have panacur for the goats and a medicated feed with morantel tartrate, but I don't know if that takes care of bots?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Ivomec for cattle is what you would use for the goats. I'm not sure of the dosage though. I would ask your vet that one.