Bottle babies barely eating

Ardizzone7

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have 3 nigerian bottle babies that came in the house on Thursday the 10th. I have 2 boys and one girl. They were with their mother for a week but she kept distancing herself from them more and more each day until she wouldn’t go near them even to just let them eat. It is winter and they need her heat for warmth so I brought them in. The little girl was struggling and I was afraid she was going to die as she was the smallest.

When I brought them in she took to the bottle the first day. She is strong and healthy now . Unfortunately the boys are struggling now. I feel like they just aren’t figuring out the nipple. I’m using the yellow and red nipples everyone recommends. I milk mom and feed it to them. They lay and sleep most of the day. Getting up once to play then take a long nap after. The little girl is up playing most of the day with a round belly and tons of energy. The boys are sunken in. How can I get them to take to the nipple better? I only get about an ounce of milk down them each time they feed which is about every 3 hours or so. I try more with them, but only feed sis 3 times a day. She gets 3-4 oz. They poo and pee normally. Temperatures are all normal.

Any help tips or tricks would be much appreciated. They are beautiful babies and I hate to see them this way.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Second a few pointers...try different nipples or even a syringe. They will die if they aren’t getting nutrition. If they don’t have any energy to eat, they won’t. Sounds like all of their energy is going to keeping warm.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...lled-flow-lamb-nipples-pack-of-3?cm_vc=-10005 We used these for our bottle babies. (Lamanchas)

These are also an option...https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-gum-rubber-nipples-pack-of-3?cm_vc=-10005.

The ones you are using are referred to as Pritchard teats by some.

What are you using as formula or milk? How much do they each weigh?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Their sugars are probably very low. I would immediately give each buckling some Nutri drench with a syringe (no needle of course) by mouth- a couple of cc's (ml's). If you have any Vitamin paste like jump start that would be good- a pea size rub in mouth. If using jump start follow instructions.

This will help them get more active and hopefully they will have enough energy to actually eat.
You can try another nipple like @Wehner Homestead suggested but I imagine they are just getting weak.
Sometimes you have to cover or shield their eyes, rub the nipple down the nose and through instinct they may believe it is a teat.
On really difficult ones we have hovered over like a momma and tricked them.

Sometime you have to put the nipple in the mouth and keep the mouth closed around it. Don't squirt the milk in but sometimes they will stop fighting it and be like" ooo I'm hungry- this is good!"

Make sure the milk is VERY warm 100 degrees - 103 If cold or lukewarm they won't take it
As far as your doe- Check her temperature. She could have milk fever (Milk fever has a LOW temp) - Is she eating, peeing , pooping normally?
A doe that suddenly stops feeding her kids is a concern.

If dam is ok you can always hold her - put her in stanchion and hold back legs and let the boys eat.

Ardizzone7

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you everyone! The little girl is healthy.

On the boys, I have tried a regular baby bottle nipple and that didn’t work. I think I’ll try the syringe to just get some in their belly. I’ll have to go to the store to get the nutri drench and vitamin paste. Hopefully the syringe will work for now until I can get back from Rural King.

Ardizzone7

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I’ll keep you all posted.

Ardizzone7

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh and I am feeding them their moms milk

Ardizzone7

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have vitamin B complex that I can give here at the house. Would that work? Also how much would I give? They weigh 5lbs

Latest posts