Bottle babies barely eating

Ardizzone7

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You have already gotten excellent advise.

I'm not as experienced as @Southern by choice and @Goat Whisperer. Do the boys have a good suckle reflex? A thought I had, is to stick your finger in their mouth, to encourage suckle response.
Thank you. Yes they have a good suck reflex. I tried that yesterday. Update is I went to Tractor supply and they didn’t have the nipples nor the drench . I bought a black rubber nipple that looked the same. The lady at the check out happens to raise Pygmy and she recommended I buy a Red Bull. She said she was at a clay at Purdue and was told to rub it on the gums of the baby to get the B 12 into their system. I thought what the heck, I’ll try it.

I got home and rubbed the Red Bull on their gums. Tried the new nipples but they were a disaster. The good thing is that I went back to the Prichard nipple and they took to them better than before. Both boys drank 2 oz each which is double what they have taken in the past. I guess I’ll just keep going with Red Bull and Prichard nipples lol.

SonRise Acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don’t know if you have given it a try, but I found my nipple stubborn babies take to a basic, cheapest Walmart has (like $3.97/3 pack) Gerber baby bottles with nipples.

Remember nursing position and milk warmth (100 degrees). Hide their eyes. I often put a bottle under my armpit or in the bend of my elbow so baby can head butt to stimulate milk.

If the boys are getting weak, you can use a syringe with no needle and get milk in that way. They also have syringes with nipples. I only used that once on a baby goat we had with neurological issues, but he ended up and strong nurser from a bottle eventually.

For my worst nurser ever (bought a “bottle baby” that never actually saw a bottle) I gave used Dr. Brown’s preemie nipples (baby human nipples) that fit standard baby bottles.

Ardizzone7

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have tried the baby nipple but they don’t even try to suck them. Today I got another 2 oz in one boy at his feeding. The other boy got only an ounce but drank it faster than he did the day before. I guess I just want them to catch on like the little girl. Just as fast and just as strong. With the little boys I’m trying to feed them more often like every 2 -3 hours in hopes they will catch on. Is that a good idea??

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes! Definitely try feeding them frequently so that they stay hydrated and keep the energy to drink until they get the hang of it.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
sounds like they are getting the hang of the bottle nursing, yea!! everyone has already given you all of the suggestions that I would have so just keep on keeping on. as @Southern by choice asked, have you checked mama goat for problems? its not really normal for a mama to be ok with feeding her kids and then just stop without a reason. check temp, udder and that sort of thing. hopefully the kids will take off and do great. just a side note of the human babies in the hospital with problems the girls usually are tuffer than the boys and do better. never seen a study as to why but preemie girls almost always do better than boys. makes you go hummmm

Ardizzone7

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Mom is fine. She just isn’t motherly. I plan on selling her after these guys are weaned. She has never stayed with her babies very well. In the summer it isn’t so bad because it is warm outside. With all the snow they just weren’t staying warm enough. This was an oops pregnancy. I prefer late spring and summer babies. I think with milking and mamma getting extra grain she is happier. We have always joked that she would rather go out clubbing than take care of her kids lol!