Bottle Baby Advice Needed!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
using my beef tape I measured her at 36.5 inches so I figure she is about 160 pounds. is that normal for her age?
Are you measuring at the right place, just behind front legs?
What is her body condition-------thin--moderate, or fleshy body? Your tape should have 3 different indexes on it--maybe 4 (very fleshy)

Hard to say what her correct weight should be, since we don't know her birth weight, but 160lbs is pretty dang heavy for 3 weeks old imo for one being stressed thru movement and no momma--as well as an unknown actual feeding regimen.
Angus average birth weights run anywhere from 60-80 lbs, (with heifer's calves being near the low end of the average). It can go up depending on the actual length of gestation--which we also don't know. BUT, the breed average is still around 64 lbs based on 285 days gestation.
But, let's say her BW was a heavy 80 lbs. 3 weeks later, you said she weighs 160lbs. That's 80lb of gain in 3 weeks on a bottle.

Industry average for beef calves to shoot for is 2lbs weight gain per day. 3 weeks (21 days) on the bottle will hopefully get you 42 lbs of gain.
You are nearly x2 that.
I would think....
1. Your measurement is off.
2. It was a heck of a big calf at birth.
3. It is older than 3 weeks old.

The chart I have in front of me shows an average of 120lbs for a 4 week old Angus that had a BW of 66 lbs.

Last edited:

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You're getting pretty sound advice on here, the only thing I'd add is that you might want to get a packet of electrolyte powder and keep it handy. I've had several bottle calves and anytime they'd get fussy about taking their bottle of milk I'd give them a bottle of electrolytes, they'd take it right down and at the next feeding they would take right to their milk. I generally use Sav-a-calf or something similar, there is a brand around here called 'Faithway' and it separates very easily and the calves turn their nose up to it. Be mindful of the quality of milk replacer you use and you'll have a healthy calf.

SCLeppyLvr

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
i got two packets of Merrick's calf electrolytes just in case. She got 1/2 a bottle last night (1 qt) mixed with 6 oz. milk replacer (IFA brand w/ Bovatec), this morning a regular 2 qt bottle and we won;t give another til this evening. we are getting some calf starter today because all i had was triple mix (corn, oats & barley w/o molasses) we gave her a little alfalfa hay too because she lips around in it now and then. Here she is... gives anyone an idea of her size. I do know she came from one of their older cows which is why she is bigger they said. And her age is approximate, 3 - maybe 4 weeks. She was tryin' to lick my daughter's face in the third pic.
20140329_152826.jpg

20140329_153419.jpg
20140330_135739.jpg
20140330_135745.jpg

SCLeppyLvr

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
oh and yup i measured right behind her front legs and pulled taught. it read 36.5 - 37" so you tell me what her body condition is, i figured thin which then said 159-171 lbs. from what i recall, but i don't have a tape in front of me.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Judging from your pictures, this calf is most definitely NOT thin. She appears to me to be in very good shape. She's black, not red. I'd guess her weight at 120 - 140 lbs, although it's hard to tell with just pictures.

SCLeppyLvr

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
ok! that's great news! thanks! i know the ranch has black and red and the steer calf i got last season was supposed to be a X, he came to us red in color but he started to turn black a few weeks later. when he died he was all black. So i am not sure what she will do, the ranch hand told me she's red. but i guess we'll see what color she actually ends up.

SCLeppyLvr

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
BTW does anyone know if Angus give good milk? Just in case we get to that point in time and can't butcher her? I was thinking i should have a backup plan, maybe breed her or use her as a nurse cow for a new leppy?

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Good looking girl. I've never heard of an Angus giving much more milk than what her calf would drink. They make good mommas and their docile nature disappears when they have a calf on the ground at which time they become rather protective but no where near some other breeds I have dealt with.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tapes are an estimate at best and have a large margin of error. Only accurate way to know is to weigh her.
But........
My tape reads:
thin & 36.5"=165lbs.
thin & 37"=171lbs.
I would call her about 135lbs just from the pics with a fleshy to moderate condition.
She looks good no matter what her actual weight is.

SCLeppyLvr

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So good news! I was not measuring the milk replacer right that first day and a half! o_O i didnt realize theres a cup in that thar bag and when i found it i found i was actually under measuring by about a cup worth! So i wasnt really over feeding her bottles! :celebratestarted her on calf starter 14% protien but only about a cup twice a day is this too much????