1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. I like to point my camera at things... - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Bottle baby questions

Discussion in 'Birthing, Weaning, and Raising Young Goats' started by kguthrie, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Mar 12, 2018
    Tatiana Blackburn

Tatiana Blackburn Chillin' with the herd

My entire family is lactose intolerant hence the purchase of does. I've just gotten an 9 week old that breeder States is totally weaned and a 3 week old bottle baby who's never had a bottle before. I've got milk replacer, a kid nipple and a human baby bottle. She's does a bit better with the kid nipple but I can't seem to get her to drink more than a few sips each try, I've been offering it every couple of house. I've read that grocery store whole vitamin d milk is often better but since we are lactose intolerant we don't buy that kind we get lactaid whole milk. My question is would the lactaid work as well or should I go buy regular milk to be used solely for her?

2. Mar 12, 2018
    Tatiana Blackburn

BTW my does are Nigerian dwarves and the doe in question weighs 7.2 pounds currently and was born on Feb. 21st. The older doe was born on Jan. 17th

3. Mar 13, 2018
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

I would not raise the kid on lactaid milk; go buy her a gallon of milk.

4. Mar 13, 2018
    GLENMAR

GLENMAR True BYH Addict

Regular whole milk. And not low fat.

5. Mar 13, 2018
    kguthrie

kguthrie Chillin' with the herd

@Tatiana Blackburn I've never done the whole milk thing, but don't give her lactaid.Do you have anyone around that has regular goats milk? you can try calling the local vet and they may be able to help you locate someone nearby with a fresh goat.
    i'd be scared to start her on a bottle with milk replacer......that can give the baby diarrhea.
    I find that the red and yellow nipples work the best, it may be tough for you to get her to bottle feed since she is almost a month old and never been off the teat.
    some people can get their kids to drink from a bucket instead.
    hope you've had better luck today

6. Mar 14, 2018
    Tatiana Blackburn

@kguthrie it's still a bit of a struggle but it's getting better. She's drinking more but still not as much as I'd like at each sitting so I'm just feeding her more often. She has free access to pellets and enjoys eating them, she also drinks water on her own

7. Mar 14, 2018
    kguthrie

kguthrie Chillin' with the herd

@Tatiana Blackburn hey if she is drinking water on her own ,you might try giving her a bowl/bucket of her bottle/milk ? just make sure its nice and warmed up:thumbsup

8. Mar 16, 2018
    Tatiana Blackburn

She has finally gotten used to drinking from a bottle she has been drinking great since yesterday.

BoboFarm and Latestarter like this.