Bottle calf scouring Help please

Blue Sky

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
B. calf about 5 months old suddenly developed scours. Diluted her formula. We were feeding her about 2/3 cup of allstock and she’s on decent pasture. Going to try a cup of yogurt in the formula, anything else? She’s still perky but I don’t like the output.
Angus cross, poop normal color.

Blue Sky

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I’ve had 4 bottle calves that for better or worse I fed to about 5-6 months. I gave her a shot of Triangle and will watch her. I raise sheep primarily. I’m willing to learn about cattle and just stock in general. I’ve done it a few years but I suspect I still have much to learn.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
How long has she been showing scours? Could it have been something she ate on pasture? Possibly coccidiosis?

Was wondering why you were still giving formula to a 5 mo. calf? Usually only feeding milk replacer for a few months, right?

I've cleared up scours pretty quickly in much younger bottle calves from the stock auction by just mixing buttermilk into their bottle in a 1:1 ratio.

Last edited:

Blue Sky

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She’s better today. Cool front came in and some rain but she dealt with it while a rammling died for no reason I know. Never a dull moment.