Bottle fed baby and urinary calculi

Cheryl Petree

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
A friend called me and told me his nanny had rejected 3 kids. One was still in the sack and gone when he found her, the other 2 were out and semi-cleaned up. One of those ended up passing, and I brought one home fully expecting him to not make it through the night. HE DID! He weighed a pound when I brought him home! He did not get colostrum until the next morning as I didn't milk the nanny (didn't think he would live--lesson learned!!) He is now 7 weeks old and thriving! My question, the guy said if I was going to neuter him to do it now while he is still small. We banded him, and then I read I should have waited until he was 10-12 weeks to prevent urinary calculi. Should I be worried? Is there something I can add to his feed to prevent this? He is still taking a bottle 3-4x/day, (whole milk) 2-3 ounces each feeding. This amount swells his belly, so I don't want to give him any more. He is also grazing on alfalfa/grass mix and my lawn. He gets a small bit of goat pellets 2-3x per day, maybe 1/2Tbsp. I've had goats, but never one this small. He was the smallest of the three and did not have any teeth when I got him. According to what I have researched, this means he was premature (or got the least of the nutrients in utero.) He is such a cutie. I named him Gonner because he definitely has a story! Thank you for any info on urinary calculi prevention.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can pretty much take him off the bottle or go to 1x day. That amount of milk should NOT cause his belly to "swell"
Our Nigerians take a quart a day at a much younger age on 3x day feeding.
He really sounds like he may need weaned as it sounds like he is dong well on hay.
How much does he weigh?
Generally you want to wait as long as you can (reasonably) to wether. For Nigerians 12 weeks especially if really small would be better.
It is what it is. Minerals and feed should have ammonium chloride in it to help prevent UC. Low grain, and higher calcium is best. You want a 2:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio or better (higher calcium) . Do not give free choice baking soda as it renders the A.C. useless.
Fresh water at all times.

Congratulations on your new goat!

Cheryl Petree

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
THANK YOU!! I will decrease the milk intake and wean him off. Is there a particular brand of mineral supplement? Is this where the AC would be? I don't want to give him much pelleted feed as I read that can cause UC as well. Like you said, it is what it is. Another lesson learned! Why would I give baking soda? I've not heard of that. He does have fresh water at all times. It was funny to watch him learn to drink! I sure am enjoying the little guy! He is getting quite the personality!Once again, thank you for your advice!