Bottle fed orphan and still cold out

Shortstuff

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So I have this nigerian dwarf that is just over 3wks and in the house because of the weather. I can't put it out with the rest due to lack of housing...and the ram. I was thinking of putting him in with the ducks and chickens.
The temp here can go from 40° to 20° at night. It for sure isn't a tight house and I really don't want to run a cord and light if I don't have to.
Any thoughts on the situation?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't put him in with ducks or chickens. Although they say coccidia is species specific, I have seen other info that there are strains that are not. I have trouble with coccidiosis only at the barn where we kept turkeys years ago. That baby is too young to be exposed to that. It is the perfect age to pick it up.
You need to build, even temporarily, some sort of pen where it can be out of the wind and weather and be able to stay warm. The chicken pen is not the answer except for an emergency.

Shortstuff

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
K I'll keep him in the house till there is a little less snow on the ground.
Thanks for the input!
Is upper 30s to low 40s to cold to be without a heat source during the day? He seems pretty comfy on the couch but he needs to man-up lol