Bottle Fed vs Natural

stano40

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have been reading about bottle feeding and am curious as to what the difference's are in the kid getting the proper nutrients after birthing.

When a kid is born doesn't he or she get colostrum direct from the mother right after birth?

After that and if the kid is a good feeder what is better being bottle fed or being fed from the mother direct?

bob
Maine

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes, the kid needs the colostrum. You can milk the doe and get it that way, or maybe find some frozen available somewhere to give to the kids.

I have let my dams raise the kids and also bottle fed. Kids thrived with both methods. Personally, I prefer letting the dams raise their kids and only bottle feed in emergency situations.

mavrick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
yes it needs colstrum, you cant out do mother nature, being on the mother is best

stano40

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Does the colostrum need to be taken from the mother first and then pasteurized or does the baby just feed on the mother.

Am I correct in assuming that once the baby is birthed the first fluids from the mother is the colostrum?

bob

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
stano40 said:
Does the colostrum need to be taken from the mother first and then pasteurized or does the baby just feed on the mother.

Am I correct in assuming that once the baby is birthed the first fluids from the mother is the colostrum?

bob
The kid can either nurse straight from the doe or the doe can be milked and then the kid can be bottlefed.

Yes, the colostrum is the "first milk" and after a day or two the real milk will come in.

Don't attempt to pasteurize colostrum. It has to be treated carefully when heating or else all the benefits will be zapped.

Latest posts