Bottle feeding a lamb

Abbey0020

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So the ewe who gave birth to Graham my ram has stopped producing milk I Need to take Graham off but not sure how it will effect his mum cause she quite attached
Any ideas what I could do

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, by all means, leave him with his mom. It will be a little more work to go feed him versus having him in the house, but worth it in the long run. What are you using for formula?

Recipe

1 gallon whole milk
1 can evaporated milk
1cup cultured buttermilk

Pour our 3 cups of whole milk. Add can of evaporated milk and buttermilk. Top off with whole milk. It gets expensive so I added the lamb replacer that they didn’t like about half and half. LOL

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Any goat kid I've bottled has been successfully left with moms, who taught them To be goats and did all but nurse them. It can work, just keep an eye on things in beginning. 😊. One feed the other 2 and I used her milk for #3.

Abbey0020

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The lamb is 6 days old and has been taking to bottle for 5 days cause agyer the ewe stopped producing colostrum no milk came after its just harp about leaving him with his m cause I have to deal with school (year 11)
so not always at home

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If the ewe is not hurting the lamb but is mothering it, then leave it with the ewe and just bottle feed. Have done that with calves... especially in the case of twins and a cow does not have enough milk for both... they learn real quick that you are the food source. And they learn to be the animal that they are, ie: sheep or cow or goat

Tina's LucyGraycee

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What ever happened with this lamb?
I'm not sure which lamb your asking about. Maybe newborn twins that cried & cried moma couldn't feed? If it was me & those twin newborns I just asked Baymule if she had any suggestions as to what i can do for them. They will not take bottles, I left them with moma. They are so tiny they don't lik nipple rightfully so it's way too big. I even went back got smaller ones u put on plastic soda bottle, I had newborn baby bottles & nipples they at least tried. They still just cry & cry & run to ever moma in lot when their feeding their babies. It breaks my heart to hear them. I stand with them while all sheep are eating to see if babies are eating pellets, corn & hay. They are eating some but need to eat more. I've just never been successful getting lambs to take bottles.