Bottle feeding for first time

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi

Neighbor gave me an orphaned buckling at almost 24 hours old. Lamancha and pygmy cross. He weighs between 4-5 lbs. I have read so many different schedules ranging from the 10-12% of body weight spread over 4-10 times a day to more solid 4 oz every 6-8 times a day increasing with age but less times per day schedules.

He was born Saturday night. Neighbor was getting 6cc's into him every time he yelled Wouldn't take bottle, she said. I found that he takes bottle just fine so I gave an ounce every 4 hours. Now I've upped it to 2 oz every 4-6 hours. He seems weak. Stands but falls after a few minutes. Normally my 3 day old babies are clumsy but up moving around a lot more than this little guy. I have nubians though not crossed with smaller goats.

I need a solid schedule for this guy. He pees fairly frequently and has a couple BM's a day. Normal looking BM's. Neighbor said he was premature. She didn't know the doe was pregnant with triplets. Other babies and momma died.

Edited because it posted accidentally and for clarification.

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
As near as I can recall, I'd be doing 6-8oz, 3-4 times per day right now and increasing gradually over time as he is willing to take more. By 2 weeks I had mine down to 3 times per day @ 12-16oz and at 4 weeks I was doing twice a day in a full 28 oz coke bottle. Good luck with him.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Tomorrow evening he will be one week old. He looks fine. He can hear fine (don't
Know about his vision).

He doesn' really stand up on his own. He cries, I take him outside and stand him in the grass. He pees. Takes a couple of steps and as if he were standing on ice, he collapses. I have him taking 4 oz every 3-5 hours. He just isn' gaining strength like he should. I don' know if he is just pigmy sized so won't take much or if he has some hidden issues...

He seems to pee frequently enough but the BM's are sort of hard. Maybe one time a day if that. In the barn with my other baby goats at this age it seems softer.

How long do you give a baby to get going better? He doesn' seem to be making any progress. My scale wants to stop at 5ish pounds so I don' know his weight now. Seems to be gaining some.