Bottle feeding lambs(kids too)

ancient

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've never had to bottle feed a goat kid and they seem to be a lot hardier than lambs but I'm asking for both species. I know bottle lambs can get bloat pretty easily is that due to the bottle or the milk? If I were to bottle feed a lamb or goat raw milk milked from the mother( or other lactating member of the flock/herd) does that lower the chances? Does it have more to do with the actual fomula/milk repclacer? Trying to have the best rate of success ( and not having any babies suffer).
Thanks in advance

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've replied on the 'emergency section' also. Lambs won't get bloat from the bottle. Bloat is caused by usually too much of greens/legumes etc in older animals.

Milk takes directly from the mother will always be best, followed by milk from the from a flock member. 'Formula' milks for lambs often use whey protein from cow's milk, so are less 'physiological' and more likely to give the lamb 'scours'....diarrhoea.

Bottle fed lambs are VERY easy after the first few days of life and will take their milk very quickly and without fuss.

ancient

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It's good to know, I guess I'm just being paranoid lol. It just breaks my heart each time throughout the years with all our different animals when a baby gets sick /dies. I always run so many questions through my head what I may have done wrong/could have done differently.

Latest posts