Bottle jaw

cariboujaguar

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
This should be 'emergency or vet' not 'disease'... anyhow

Age/Sex: 2 yr old doe

Breding status: first freshener as of Mar 22nd this yr (2 bucklings)

Condition: decent weight, a little light, heavy milker

Work load: Milking a gallon and a half a day

Feed ration/routine: free choice pasture browse on 5 acres, free choice local hay, free choice baking soda, free choice water of course, free choice salt, alfalfa pellets/16% grain/14% wet cob/BOSS.

Last wormed: April 19th then May 4th with Valbazan

Meds on hand: Valbazan, Corrid, Ivermectin, Safeguard, Dectomax, B-complex, (the list goes on)

This is the second time this doe has come down with bottle jaw, she is such a weak animal, noone else has problems like this... last time we treated it with levimasole, redcell, bcomplex and a horse vitamin supplement... (we knew nothing back then) what do you guys suggest?

thanks

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Bottle jaw is usually caused by worms or liver flukes. You might want to add Vitamin B12 injectiables to your treatment plan. Continued problems may mean that there's something else going on there and maybe a Vet check would be in order.

cariboujaguar

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I know all that, I am going to treat her with levamisole... I was asking for any more advice, not a definitian LOL my vet has killed 4 of my goats and cost me thousands, vet visit is a no go.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
If you already knew what to do, why bother to ask? She was only trying to be helpful.

Obviously your deworming program isn't getting the liver flukes/barber pole worms OR she has a deficiency somewhere making her more suceptable to infestation. I would want bloodwork and a fecal, if she were here...so I'd be on the hunt for a new vet.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
cariboujaguar,

I agree with helmstead. If you know the answer, don't ask the question. lilhill was trying to help.

Do you recall these words?
what do you guys suggest?
They are your's.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
If you read the original post, it is clear that cj had been fairly thorough and wanted input above and beyond what was already done. If it exists. If not, don't reply. When her own words were repeated back to her, she was polite about it. And it seems that there are not any goat vets available (I feel your pain! In some places they just DON'T exist!). It is obvious to me that cj was hoping for some further insite......not snippiness.

Be nice, ladies. Come on. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
No, she clearly stated what was done last time, not what she was planning to do this time.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I am taking exception to the tone. Lighten up, ladies. That's all. She wanted insight, not a :smack and it was uncalled for.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could try something a little unconventional....like some Basic H from Shaklees, as a drench or in her water bucket. Salatin tells a story about a cow he had that had liver flukes and did not respond to vetting, traditional de-wormers, etc. Said she responded within 3 days and did very well.

I've also heard a 50% unpasteurized ACV/50% water drench can do wonders. See link:

http://www.sheepmagazine.com/issues/24/24-1/Laurie_Ball-Gisch.html

I know its different species, but its worth a shot when all else fails.

If it were me, I'd try once more to get her better and, if I did, I would cull this one from the herd. Parasite resistance is something to shoot for in your herd characteristics if you want to avoid costly treatments in the future. :)

Hey, free! Good to see you! ;)

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Hey, Bee, missed ya here! :hugs Glad you could offer some insight on this. Thanks for the reminder. I will be putting some acv into my water tubs every Sunday from now on. Do you have a recommended ratio in all your research? I am thinking once a week, then plain water the rest of the week.

I am also thinking Mya could use a drench, just not sure how to do it....doesn't sound like fun....Drenching a horse means either a naso-gastric tube or a thorough drenching for the handler, mostly! :lol: Will that much acv taint the milk?

Latest posts