1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. 2019 What's up with my bucks hair? - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Bottle Kittens: Smoky and Daisy

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Wehner Homestead, May 22, 2018.

1. May 22, 2018
    Wehner Homestead

Wehner Homestead Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Y’all know I am a softie and have difficulty saying no...I’m now raising 3 kittens that were dropped in the storm last night.

They were soaking wet and cold when I got them. We dried them with towels that had been warmed in the dryer while they were en route to us. After they were mostly dry, we heated up some goat milk and syringe fed each one.

The kids thoroughly enjoyed holding a tiny kitten wrapped up in a hand towel and look forward to giving them a bottle.

We put them in a box with a heating pad on one end and covered the top with a towel. I fed them again before I went to bed but wasn’t sure that they’d make it through the night.

When I got the call, it was thought that they were about a week old. I think they were just in such bad shape that they weren’t opening their eyes. After I got them dry and started feeding them, they opened their eyes and started using their legs some. Their teeth are also starting to come through so I think they are closer to 3 weeks.

They are too little to be sure on genders yet but I think one is different from the other two. Lol. Time will tell on that one!

We were going to get a kitten for DD2 to go with the two we already have...one turned into 3. I’m not sure we will keep them all though. I’m not big on tiger/white cats and one is exactly that. Another is white with some tiger markings and the last is a solid brownish gray. I’ll keep the last one for sure.

I figured these little ones needed their own thread. DH is going to pick up some bottles after work today. I’ll also see if he can help me get some better individual pics.

F24594ED-83C8-4FD7-9E18-532F480D5E00.jpeg

Rammy, BoboFarm and RollingAcres like this.
  2. May 22, 2018
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Herd Master

very cute...there must be kitten math too... :lol:

3. May 22, 2018
    RollingAcres

RollingAcres Herd Master

Awww how cute!
    Maybe it's like counting cat/dog years...1 human year = 7 dog years....so maybe quantity 1 in human term = 3 in cats term! :gig:gig

4. May 22, 2018
    Wehner Homestead

IF I keep these 3, that puts us up to 13 cats! I refuse to be the crazy cat lady!! (I’d willingly be a crazy goat, dog, cow, or chicken lady! Lol)

Rammy and RollingAcres like this.
  5. May 22, 2018
    RollingAcres

RollingAcres Herd Master

You already have 10 cats so what's 3 more? :hide:lol:

6. May 22, 2018
    Rammy

Rammy True BYH Addict

There are several good videos on YouTube about feeding baby kitties. I fed the ones I had for a few days some kitten milk replacer. You can get it at TSC. Good luck with the kitties. I would probably have kept the ones I fostered also but they already had a home to go to, just needed someone to keep them a few days, so I volunteered. Good luck with the babies. Im sure they will do just fine with you as thier foster mommy. :)

7. May 22, 2018
    animalmom

animalmom Herd Master

Ah, come on, love has no boundaries. It only grows and spreads... like warm sunshine after a rain.

(of course I'm not feeding what would be 13 cats... but I bet you don't have a rodent problem!)

8. May 22, 2018
    luvmypets

luvmypets Herd Master

This is awesome. My FFA chapter has had to raise two groups of strays kittens. You are making sure they use the bathroom Im sure? Its not the most fun but has to be done.

9. May 22, 2018
    Wehner Homestead

@luvmypets yep. Talk about interesting convo with the littles! :lol:

Rammy and RollingAcres like this.
  10. May 22, 2018
    BoboFarm

BoboFarm Loving the herd life

I LOVE bottle babies! Out of the 12 I bottle fed I only lost one. It was very weak when we got it and we didn't think it was going to make it. I had a litter of three that ended up with ringworm. That was awful! It was a good thing I was a vet tech so we treated them at no cost to me.

A belly full of warm milk, a warm place to snuggle and clean butts make happy babies :love

Looking forward to the journey with these guys.