Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
No updated pics. DH was in the shower while DD1 did her breathing treatment, DD2 and DS drank their bedtime milk, and I fed kittens.

DH picked up a bottle for the kittens. They aren’t fans. I’m going to keep working with them but I ended up syringe feeding them to make sure they got enough.

I’m encouraging the kittens to potty after each feeding. They’ve been going some on their own and I have to change the blanket under them each time now.

I make everyone leave them alone except for feeding time to avoid distressing them and to keep them warm. This also helps to keep the kids from handling them without an adult around.

I’m really worried about them. I have a heating pad that they can be on any time they are in their box (only time they aren’t is about a half hour when I feed/potty all three.) They have the option to be off the heating pad but they are always on it and in a pile. Two of them have eyes that are matted shut tonight. (I’m going to get them open with warm water here shortly but needed to get kids to bed.) These poor kittens were very wet and chilled when I got them last night. I’m afraid that they are going to get colds and pneumonia and not make it. I’m debating on giving them some penicillin injections...

We’ve decided to keep the kittens on goat milk. Despite lots of pros and cons that we discussed, I think it’s our best bet for this group. DD2 has also gotten a kick out of sharing her Nellie milk with her kittens!

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Two kittens’ eyes were matted shut this morning. Got them opened up with a warm, wet cottonball.

2 of the 3 kittens will suck the milk out of the syringe on their own but refuse the bottle completely. The third laps up the milk as I slowly squirt the milk into its mouth with the syringe. Trying to decide if it’s worth the effort to keep pushing the bottle or just syringe feed them until they can lap from a bowl...

Kittens got bathed with baby wipes this morning. They need a good soap and water bath but I don’t think that’s in the cards for them any time soon. They’ve started going to the bathroom some on their own then crawl through it. One had a nice dried spot of feces on its head that I had to clean off.

Called the vet to ask about antibiotics. Hey encouraged me to hold off unless they stop eating or seem lethargic or dehydrated. Thinking it’s more viral and they will either make it or they won’t. Did agree to get some salve ready for their eyes so DH will pick it up on his way home from work.

Had to go to the local Dollar General to get some more cotton balls. Gonna take several to keep all of these eyes clean and open.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH picked up the eye ointment from the vet’s. Cleaned eyes and applied. All three now have “goop” and/or matting in various stages despite the cleanings.

Decided to stick with the syringe for now. They are eating and that’s most important!

I think we have the pottying routine down other than one has a sore behind from going on it’s own and it irritated the skin before I could get it cleaned off. I’ll put some of DD2’s aquaphor on it next feeding round.

Kids each picked a kitten of their own accord despite us encouraging them not to. DD1 picked the kitten with more white. She’s named it Donald/Daisy depending on the gender that it turns out to be.

DS picked the grayish black kitten and it’s name is to be Smoky no matter the gender. All three kids have that name down. I don’t think I stand a chance at convincing them otherwise! Lol

DD2 picked the more tiger kitten. It’s name options change on a feeding by feeding basis currently.

Never a dull moment around here!
C07E5AE9-70EE-4E9A-8CE6-81D758FDCA79.jpeg

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Kittens are slowly progressing. Eyes are clearing some between being kept clean and the medicine.

I’ve noticed an increase in intake. The two with tiger markings are taking in about 10ml six times a day. The smaller black/gray is taking in about 7ml. I’m hoping to make a quick trip to the barn with them to weigh them so I can track their progress better.

I am concerned because they haven’t been making much stool. If I recall the details correctly...I got them Monday night and it’s early Friday morning. They all had stool on Tuesday and I had to clean it off of them all day. There hasn’t been any stool since Tuesday at almost midnight. Their bellies are soft and pliable, even when they are full of milk. They are voiding each time they eat- two with stimulation and the other typically has a wet tail and has a few drops. (I change the bedding every feeding as at least one is voiding and making it damp.) @babsbag I know you’ve done bottle kittens before and aren’t already following along. Any insight from babs or those already here?

The kittens are purring more all the time. They have to recognize my smell and voice as they start squeaking every time I walk in the bedroom but the ignore DH. They have also tried to nurse my hands when I’m trying to get them situated to eat.

DD1 took some pics of the kittens today during one of their feedings. She’s 6 and they were taken on my phone so they aren’t perfect but I love the effort.

Feeding with Jewel’s assistance.
1890E771-2424-4DDC-B406-AE242AC6A8EF.jpeg

Another...I can’t decide if this is the same kitten as above or the other one. My hand is covering up too much pattern detail.
6D034757-5634-4DEA-AE99-5B2A2538169C.jpeg

Smoky and Jewel is back again. (Spelling of Smoky may change depending on what gender the kitten happens to be.)
103236EF-87E0-401A-93D7-A577F2AFF867.jpeg

Bucket o’ kittens! Smoky is at the top, then the mostly tiger, and then the white with some tiger. I use the bucket to carry them from their bed in our bedroom to where I sit in the living room to feed them. It also contains the kittens that I’m not focused on so that they stay safe.
3B0CDEAA-B83D-44B7-A9DF-7DAFD8CA61DE.jpeg

The boss: Jewel. She doesn’t like the kittens crying and has started licking them some.
1831DEBF-A019-4BA6-B2CE-8628320107FD.jpeg

Somehow DH just realized that he will have to play parent while I work this weekend for at least a few day time feedings. Guess he will get a crash course tomorrow after work in kitten care!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
If they are three weeks old I am surprised you got them to nurse at all. I would start trying them with kitten chow soaked in milk or some smelly canned food, the stinkier the better. I always stimulate them to urinate and have the bowel movement until they are close to 4 weeks but sometimes they will go 3 or 4 days without a bowel movement. You can add a little karo syrup to the milk if you think that they are constipated.

I haven't done babies in a few years, goats have consumed my life. I always raised them on goat's milk, at least I did after I got goats. They always did well.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love how Jewel was there SO close to "supervise" the feeding! ;)
Glad to heat that their eyes are clearing a bit and they are taking in more milk.
You know after all the care and nurturing of these kittens, you are not going to part with them and they will become YOUR cats. :hide:D

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love how Jewel was there SO close to "supervise" the feeding! ;)
Glad to heat that their eyes are clearing a bit and they are taking in more milk.
You know after all the care and nurturing of these kittens, you are not going to part with them and they will become YOUR cats. :hide:D

Oh these are definitely MINE, even despite a kid claim on each one. I just don’t like that cat personalities are so unpredictable as adults. (A lot about a pup’s adult tendencies is distinguishing at even five weeks of age.) I’ve gotten rid of cats in various ways to being aggressive to me or the kids without cause.

Growing up, we had a tiger/white tuxedo cat. He was evil!! I’ve had two since we’ve lived here. One is Minnie and she’s still here, much to my chagrin. She’s on my short list for smacking DD2 two nights ago and climbed up DD1 (had shorts and short sleeves) a few weeks ago and had to be distached hissing and spatting from her shirt. She’s not long for this home...I’ve been around long haired versions and had one last summer that didn’t survive the year due to a dog.

I’m now nervous about having another. One of these kittens has those exact markings. Another is mostly white with tiger “spots” and I’m crossing my fingers that it has the white cat personality. Lol I’m hoping that being “bottle” babies will make a difference but I won’t chance my children’s safety if it comes to that in the future.

I hate that it’s like this but when I have as adults, two traditional tigers, a black, a black/white, a grey/white, and two orange tigers that don’t have any of those tendencies currently, I lean toward them as pets. They let the kids care for them, feed them, etc. In fact, DD1 catches them and locks them in cages/boxes, the milk room...and they still come back to her!

Back to the original topic...they’ll always be my babies. I’ll always have a special place in my heart for them. The plan is to keep them and add them to the growing herd in the barn. (Spaying and neutering will be done! Too many available to let ours add to the problem!) If one develops personality issues, we will cross that bridge when we come to that. My human children are first in my book!

Edited to take out my child’s name. I goofed in my typing and put one of their names in and just caught it.

Last edited: