Bottle raising

Blackgold05

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Can anyone give me the complete run down on bottle raising and properly weaning and socializing baby goats?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I prefer having the kids not be bottle fed.

I know lots of people bottle raise.

But I prefer to reduce my work load, and the moms do a great job teaching their kids to be goats.

Blackgold05

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I’m talking about if you buy goats that are already bottle raised or orphans

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m talking about if you buy goats that are already bottle raised or orphans
Best if you have 2 or more, better yet, have 2 or more and a few nice steady does (or wethers) that tolerate the kids.

I only once bought 2 kids that were still on the bottle. I only wanted 1, but got 2 since a single baby is a pain. I had them sleep in a safe and segregated spot, but during the day I had them with my milk does. Being with the does they immediately had to learn how to integrate into the herd, and be goats. My does were good to them.

If you do not have any adults, or your adults hate kids... then besides making sure you have at least 2... you are stuck with teaching them what to eat and not eat... and what behaviors will not be tolerated.

Make sure you teach them not to bite, or be rude, and where they are supposed to sleep, and live.

Goats are pretty smart and will learn quickly as long as you are both clear and consistent.

@Mini Horses do you often have bottle kids?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rarely have bottle kids. I prefer mom raise them to be a goat. The few I have had, I have left with the herd. One was a triplet mom cared for but wouldn't nurse it...just other two. This year had a doe kid preemies, one didn't make it. Other I bottled but after 3 days it was in barn and snuggled with other kids. At 3 weeks it was about size of a pair of twins born then and it adopted that mom. :idunno :lol:. She wasn't thrilled but he was black like hers and very stealth. I continued to bottle and check tummy for fullness for couple weeks. Now she's more tolerant and the three are growing well! Nice she's a heavy producer.

He is very tame to handle but, not obnoxious. 😊. His twin brothers come with him for attention. Homemade trips?