Bought a scythe!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I found a rusted to pandas American scythe when we bought our farm. Ever since, I've been thinking about getting a light, sharp one to use where my riding mower cannot go.
And a couple weeks ago, I bit the bullet and bought one!
Tweaking it, mostly working, lol.
Will post more pictures later.
Anyone else use a scythe?

20181020_160203.jpg

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, but I have, from the corner of my eye, thought I glimpsed 'someone' using one several times.
tenor.gif

And of course, in a documentary film not too long ago, we all saw Abe Lincoln destroy a slew of zombies with one.....

Abraham Lincoln was the 16th President of the United States a heroic figure known for dealing with the American Civil War, a zombie infestation & uprising at Fort Pulaski, as well as inspiring a young Teddy Roosevelt.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, I haven't. I see you got the straight shaft. Is it comfortable to use?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good luck with it. It looks interesting, but I still prefer my scythes to have a pull cord or a pto shaft.....or teeth and a rumen.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bought a European scythe a few years back and used it pretty routinely. They are a great tool for taking down weeds and thistles etc in a paddock. Or mowing strips for electric fencing. But now I can't really justify spending excess energy scything when I could use my riding mower, and then have energy for working sheep the next morning. I still use it recreationally, though! I much prefer the European to the American scythe. I plan to buy a hay blade for use next year, as the ditch blade I have takes a lot of energy to swing, and mostly I use it to cut grass.

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So I found a rusted to pandas American scythe when we bought our farm. Ever since, I've been thinking about getting a light, sharp one to use where my riding mower cannot go.

View attachment 53756
I do!!! Same blade, too! I took a few years of learning to hone propoely, getting the right stones, getting the peening right, but now we have figured it out and it’s such a joy!
We’re in Sonoma California and just started mowing again a few weeks ago. So fun! Raking and piling it up is the real chore...

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

View attachment 53756

There's actually 2 different types of these...one for thicker woody stuff like wild multi flora rose and small saplings. The blade on it is actually shorter and wider and almost blunt on the end. The one you have pictured is actually made specifically for just grass and weeds...stuff you would cut with a weed wacker. I used both since I was 10 years old. Matter of fact, I still have 3 of my great grandfather's that are probably twice my age old. Probably more than you'd want to know about this tool and then some. LOL!!!

Latest posts