Bracing 'swerves' in fences.

hman0217

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello friends

I am wrapping up putting the posts in for our shy quarter acre of grazing and forage area and am.starting to plan out the bracing.

I understand h bracing and gate bracing but, due to hitting rock ledge in one case and operator error on the other I have two areas where the fence 'swerves' as shown in the picture and am unsure how to brace them.

I imagine NOT bracing these areas would result in posts H, I, U and possibly V moving over time. But how would I wire them? If I do an h brace around H-I-J, for example, i cant similarly make one on G-H-I because the wire from H to I would be oriented incorrectly. The same is true for bracing U-V-W and then figuring out T-U

Do I just add the horizontal cross members at T-U and G-H without wire and depend on the adjacent wire tension to do the job? Whats the conventional wisdom here?

Your input is appreciated
20201026_152422.jpg

20201026_151250.jpg

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’d brace from the bottom of t and v to the top of U and do the same at ghi then let the wire tension hold everything in place. The key will be keeping the top of u and h from pulling in and letting things get loose.

hman0217

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
thanks. follow up question: I read somewhere not to use 4x4 square lumber for the horizontal members bc they're not as strong as the round posts. Is there any merit to that? I hope not bc the round posts are so hard to get with the mills closed these days. (i did use round posts for the vertical posts themselves)

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Do you have hedge or cedar on the property? If so, cut your own braces from that. They are nearly indestructible.