Brahma cattle

smoothmule

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It was hard just getting any pictures so the angle may throw things off, as well as the lighting. I did take a couple pictures from the rear but they weren't very good shots, one was pretty washed out with lighting and the other too dark

952_07october2012_031.jpg

952_07october2012_023.jpg

smoothmule

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, we left him a bull and he was sold to a neighbor who will raise him (Bart) and breed him to his Angus cows. This calf had such fast gain! He was nearly as tall as mamma when he left this weekend. My cow Babe can be, well, not as easy to get along with and was extremely protective of Bart but I penned him up the morning he was to leave and he simply went the back of the pen and laid down. My son was sure Babe would tear the place apart if separated from him but no, she walked away quietly and didn't even come back to the barn when they came with a trailer to haul him home. Bart had never been loaded before but other than getting bit spooked by the strangers in his pen, he did great and trotted right on up into the trailer. Jason told my husband that later that day, Bart came right up to him like no big deal. He's definitely not been made a pet and momma Babe is not good with strangers but Bart has the calmest personality for a young bull. I am so pleased he will grow up close enough to home to see him mature and see his offspring
:weee

Now my son, who is NOT a fan of my cow Babe (and the feelings are mutual) is wanting a bull calf out of her with his bull. He want's a red bull calf like Bart to keep for his red cows. :lol: My son has wanted us to eat Babe since I brought her home. He can't get in the pasture with her. I've never seen such an immediate dislike between a person and a cow before but I have to keep them separated so they both stay safe.

When I can, I'll take photo's as Bart matures and share them here.
Also!! I am pretty sure that Rose is pregnant and figure her due date to be Jan or Feb. Not the best time of year for Brahman type to be calving but I can pen her up so she'll have at least good wind break and some shelter. She knows to come up to the loafing shed when it's raining. I've had her since this summer and she has the best temperament and personality. Extremely smart. She will go up the hill and around where the horses are not, so I can giver her treats and feed without the competition. She will go to her "spot" and stand patiently, waiting her turn. She was bred to an Angus bull.

violetsky888

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Babe is gorgeous! She looks extremely powerful. If she is dangerous to men, you probably should put her in the freezer, especially since she has the tendency to get loose. Neighbors often are wonderful but sometimes they trespass and could get hurt if your cow is crazy mean. I would wean her calf young and send mama off in that case to avoid any kind of tragedy. What I'm wondering if brahmas belong to the zebu family and very often you see zebu type cattle in India calmly tolerating people and all kinds of commotion, why do American brahmas have a reputation for being wild? The tiny zebu's are often dog tame. What gives? In any case super attractive heifer. I bet her calf will be gorgeous too. Keep us updated!