Brahmas?

suzaboo

Just born
Reaction score
Purchased these 6 chicks and suppose to be Brahmas but not sure, can anyone tell? I am fairly new to chickens, have some back yard mutts (ee), olive eggers and white laying hens from tsc (sorry don't know breed). Wanted to expand to a dual purpose bird so purchased these beginning of may. Posted some older and newer pictures. The one with the puff on its head and the black one are ones I am questioning. They all still cute no matter what breed.

Attachments

• BrahmasApr17.JPG
    BrahmasApr17.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC_0251.JPG
    DSC_0251.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC_0252.JPG
    DSC_0252.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC_0248.JPG
    DSC_0248.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 107

Frazzemrat1

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
as an example, here's my flock... They're about 3-4 weeks, and they're all brahmas except for the black one, which is a Black Jersey Giant... one of the pics is the group, the other is a close up of one of my white brahma and a buff brahma... Based on my baby Giant's colors, I'd say that black one you have may be one of those too.
Outside.jpeg
Outside2.jpeg

suzaboo

Just born
Reaction score
thx the seller did also sell jersey giants so it is possible she grabbed the wrong one. Any ideas of the one I have with the poofy head?

Frazzemrat1

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have nothing on the poof head. lol... the mystery chicken!

DwayneNLiz

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
my guess is legbar/brahma
i dont know if they are pure

suzaboo

Just born
Reaction score
sorry , didn't see replies till now. Yes poofhead has feathered legs. The poofiness seems to be going down a bit with his new feathering coming in so maybe he just has some bad hair days lol At least I think its a he..has a flatter and wider comb than the rest and starting to get red waddles where as the rest all have straight combs.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
True Brahmas come in 3 recognized colors. Light , dark and buff. The Light and Buff varieties are the columbian color pattern; have a basically solid color feathered body, with black tails, and black feathers laced with the appropriate color (either white for the lights or buff for the buffs) in the saddles and hackles of the males, and on the feathers down the toes. The Darks are the silver pencilled color pattern, the males resemble the silver duckwing in the old english somewhat, the females have feathers that are pencilled with alternating black and silvery white. Hard to describe the color pattern if you have never seen it. All Brahmas have a pea comb, like a rose comb but it doesn't stand up off the head in the back with a spike, and is smaller.
Any thing that you got, that has a single comb is not a true brahma. They should also have feathers on both the outside and middle toe. They do not have crests so if there is any poofyness when it gets in the adult feathers, it also is not a true brahma.

suzaboo

Just born
Reaction score
thx I will post a newer picture and maybe you/anyone can advise if they are true Brahmas or if they are backyard mutt Brahma mix (guess that's what you would call it lol)