bred llama or not?

LilaCombs

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have an older female llama who I thought was bred but obviously not since the male was breeding her today. He has been on her on and off all day and now she can't get up. I have removed him from her lot. Is this normal?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
No, that isn't normal. Depending on your female's age, it may be too much for her to have the male on her. Especially if he is doing it a lot. Also, if she older, she may have a hard time maintaining a pregnancy. My alpaca vet always says once a female gets to be 10 years old, any cria you get after that is a bonus. Of course there are alpacas/llamas that are giving birth at 18 years old but those seem to be getting to be fewer and fewer.

If you have Banamine, I would give her a shot of it. She is probably in some pain.

LilaCombs

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
How can you tell a llamas age.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Sometimes you can tell if they need their teeth trimmed. They are usually over 4 years old before they may need their teeth trimmed. Otherwise, you really can't tell. Many llamas never need their teeth trimmed.

LilaCombs

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sad news...I found my llama dead this morning. I guess she had been sick for a while and the male just found an opportunity. Not sure what happened.

LilaCombs

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks. We lost her baby this summer and now her. If I were a quitting person, I would quit now but I'm not ready to throw in the towell yet.

MrsCountryChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So sorry to hear. :hit That's horrible no matter the breed or age. :( I feel for you. :hit We love them all.

I agree too on the not giving up. Education & perseverance I always say. I have rotational grazing for my geese, & despite all the research & great care I give them... due to ?something? I had quite a few get sick & die within a day or 2 of getting sick. Yet I have some flourishing.? We also had bought 2 indoor birds & they died within a wk, we were heartsick thinking we did something wrong...rethinking everything....then after a couple months we got 4 Lovebirds......meanwhile these guys are flourishing & squawking & chirping up a storm now a yr later driving us nutts... clearly it wasn't us that did anything to assist our 1st two birds to die. I think sometimes despite all the Great care & love we give them there are times things happen anyway. :idunno :hu Which is terribly frustratingl:(

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Llamas and alpacas seem to be exceptionally good at hiding illness too. Especially since their fiber can hide body condition so well. Not to mention that they don't like to be handled so we don't feel their fiber on a regular basis either.

LilaCombs

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I agree with the not liking to be handled part. I would love to be able to get them where I could pet them and at least brush their hair and shear them but I don't be seeming to have much luck. The only touch I get is when there head is in a feed bucket.