Breed and sex?

mamabun

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this group. I have 2 bunnies that I think are Chinchilla mix, I need help to confirm. Raising for meat rabbits. Also What I thought was a male, is actually a female, so embarrassed. Anyhow I have been monitoring their behaviours and 1 was constantly jumping over the wall to be with the other. It was fatter and loked like female parts, so I thought it was female; pregnant? But it lets me pick it up. The other is so skittish and not letting me touch it or pick it up and its not eating. When I got them separated for the 4th time this week I checked the scared one for sex and it really looks like 2 babies hanging off of her underside. I didn't get a pic because she is stressed now. She just had her last litter at previous owners around Dec. 6. Could she be having another batch so soon? I have locked her in a cage now, if she is indeed my female.

Thanks from Mamabun!

Attachments

• Frank1.jpg
    Frank1.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCF8011.jpg
    DSCF8011.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 221

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. There's a lot of info and knowledge shared in the various rabbit threads, but I can't recall ever reading anything like this. :ep I'll tag a couple of our (many) Rabbiteers and hopefully they'll be able to help you. @Bunnylady @samssimonsays @DutchBunny03 @LukeMeister @Shorty @Kaye @promiseacres @Hens and Roos And the list goes on... We have quite a few active rabbiteers here :D Please make yourself at home and browse around the forum. If you have questions, please do post and someone should get back to you pretty quickly. Thanks for sharing the pics! :clap Pics are ALWAYS welcome!:celebrate;) Glad you joined us.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome :frow glad you joined us! Pretty colored rabbits, not sure what breed they are. Did she lose the litter that she had around Dec 6th? It takes 28-32 days once a rabbit is bred to potentially have kits. Hopefully @Bunnylady will post soon!

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH!! If your rabbits are about 6 pounds, you have standard Chinchillas. They are beautiful rabbits! Here is a link on how to check a rabbit's sex easily: http://www.raising-rabbits.com/sexing-rabbits.html
Rabbits are physically capable of rebreeding in less than a few minutes after kindling, so it is possible she is pregnant, if she really is a she.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH!:frow

Looking at your two pictures, I would say that the one on the left (the first of the two pictures) is the male, and the one on the right the female. Male rabbits' heads are just a bit broader and more massive than those of their female counterparts, so if these are the same breed (or the same cross) the broader, bigger head should be the male. When you were looking at this rabbit, was there any blood or evidence of any other fluids in the fur around the genitals? If you are really unfamiliar with rabbit anatomy, is there any chance that what you were looking at could be the buck's testicles?

020.JPG

This is what a newborn rabbit looks like (from the front, anyway).

There is a remote possibility that your doe didn't deliver all of the kits from the first litter, and was passing what remained of a stuck kit (or kits) . . . .

I am also very concerned about your rabbit not eating. There is a potentially lethal condition known as GI (Gastrointestinal) stasis. Basically, the digestive system shuts down. It takes a rabbit about three days to starve to death, and it can be quite a battle getting one going again when they quit.

As to breed, I'm most inclined to think Standard Chinchillas.

Last edited:

mamabun

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. There's a lot of info and knowledge shared in the various rabbit threads, but I can't recall ever reading anything like this. :ep I'll tag a couple of our (many) Rabbiteers and hopefully they'll be able to help you. @Bunnylady @samssimonsays @DutchBunny03 @LukeMeister @Shorty @Kaye @promiseacres @Hens and Roos And the list goes on... We have quite a few active rabbiteers here :D Please make yourself at home and browse around the forum. If you have questions, please do post and someone should get back to you pretty quickly. Thanks for sharing the pics! :clap Pics are ALWAYS welcome!:celebrate;) Glad you joined us.

Thank you so much for sharing and the welcome. Hoping to learn a lot fom everyone here. Thank you!

mamabun

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH!! If your rabbits are about 6 pounds, you have standard Chinchillas. They are beautiful rabbits! Here is a link on how to check a rabbit's sex easily: http://www.raising-rabbits.com/sexing-rabbits.html
Rabbits are physically capable of rebreeding in less than a few minutes after kindling, so it is possible she is pregnant, if she really is a she.
Thank you. They are actually closer to 4 pounds. Thank you for your post and the link.