1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. On Jan. 1, 2017, antibiotic use on farms will become more restricted as a result of the Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD). Learn more about calf nutrition supplements and calf health here!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official BYH Caption Contest - Pic by Sfogg
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Featured Thread: Orphaned Spanish goats
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Breed and sex?

Discussion in 'Breeds and Breeding - Rabbits' started by mamabun, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Dec 16, 2016
    mamabun

mamabun Ridin' The Range

Hi all,

New to this group. I have 2 bunnies that I think are Chinchilla mix, I need help to confirm. Raising for meat rabbits. Also What I thought was a male, is actually a female, so embarrassed. Anyhow I have been monitoring their behaviours and 1 was constantly jumping over the wall to be with the other. It was fatter and loked like female parts, so I thought it was female; pregnant? But it lets me pick it up. The other is so skittish and not letting me touch it or pick it up and its not eating. When I got them separated for the 4th time this week I checked the scared one for sex and it really looks like 2 babies hanging off of her underside. I didn't get a pic because she is stressed now. She just had her last litter at previous owners around Dec. 6. Could she be having another batch so soon? I have locked her in a cage now, if she is indeed my female.

Thanks from Mamabun!

Attached Files:

2. Dec 16, 2016
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Moderator

Greetings and welcome to BYH. There's a lot of info and knowledge shared in the various rabbit threads, but I can't recall ever reading anything like this. :ep I'll tag a couple of our (many) Rabbiteers and hopefully they'll be able to help you. @Bunnylady @samssimonsays @DutchBunny03 @LukeMeister @Shorty @Kaye @promiseacres @Hens and Roos And the list goes on... We have quite a few active rabbiteers here :D Please make yourself at home and browse around the forum. If you have questions, please do post and someone should get back to you pretty quickly. Thanks for sharing the pics! :clap Pics are ALWAYS welcome!:celebrate;) Glad you joined us.

LukeMeister likes this.
  3. Dec 16, 2016
    samssimonsays

samssimonsays Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres

somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
    Welcome from northern Minnesota ,! I believe theu look like chins. @Bunnylady know a lot as well. A baby woukd be very hard to mistake. They are bigger than a thumb in larger breeds.

mamabun and promiseacres like this.
  4. Dec 16, 2016
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos True BYH Addict

Welcome :frow glad you joined us! Pretty colored rabbits, not sure what breed they are. Did she lose the litter that she had around Dec 6th? It takes 28-32 days once a rabbit is bred to potentially have kits. Hopefully @Bunnylady will post soon!

mamabun and Kaye like this.
  5. Dec 16, 2016
    DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Loving the herd life

Welcome to BYH!! If your rabbits are about 6 pounds, you have standard Chinchillas. They are beautiful rabbits! Here is a link on how to check a rabbit's sex easily: http://www.raising-rabbits.com/sexing-rabbits.html
    Rabbits are physically capable of rebreeding in less than a few minutes after kindling, so it is possible she is pregnant, if she really is a she.

mamabun likes this.
  6. Dec 16, 2016
    Bunnylady

Bunnylady True BYH Addict

Welcome to BYH!:frow

Looking at your two pictures, I would say that the one on the left (the first of the two pictures) is the male, and the one on the right the female. Male rabbits' heads are just a bit broader and more massive than those of their female counterparts, so if these are the same breed (or the same cross) the broader, bigger head should be the male. When you were looking at this rabbit, was there any blood or evidence of any other fluids in the fur around the genitals? If you are really unfamiliar with rabbit anatomy, is there any chance that what you were looking at could be the buck's testicles?

[​IMG]

This is what a newborn rabbit looks like (from the front, anyway).

There is a remote possibility that your doe didn't deliver all of the kits from the first litter, and was passing what remained of a stuck kit (or kits) . . . .

I am also very concerned about your rabbit not eating. There is a potentially lethal condition known as GI (Gastrointestinal) stasis. Basically, the digestive system shuts down. It takes a rabbit about three days to starve to death, and it can be quite a battle getting one going again when they quit.

As to breed, I'm most inclined to think Standard Chinchillas.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  7. Dec 16, 2016
    mamabun

mamabun Ridin' The Range

Thank you so much for sharing and the welcome. Hoping to learn a lot fom everyone here. Thank you!

8. Dec 16, 2016
    mamabun

mamabun Ridin' The Range

Thank you!

9. Dec 16, 2016
    mamabun

mamabun Ridin' The Range

Yes apparantly they were all dead.

10. Dec 16, 2016
    mamabun

mamabun Ridin' The Range

Thank you. They are actually closer to 4 pounds. Thank you for your post and the link.