Breed & Color?

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s been almost a year lol I think she’s just suspicious, she’s only snapped at me a few times and that was over the food bowl.

Yes they do! I used to have Californians when I was younger and I got a “show” rabbit. She was crazy mean. My parents were worried I’d be bit because she’d growl and lunge. She was a fantastic mom. And was nice while she had babies but once they were weaned....watch out!
I have a doe just like that ha ha ha! She still scares me! :lol:

AlleysChicks

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a doe just like that ha ha ha! She still scares me! :lol:
I was like 10 or 11 when I had Ellie. I finally had it with tip toeing around her and one day just flung the door open said “come mere” and grabbed her. She fought me tooth and nail but I had her! Lol I’ve never really been scared of a animal before but I’ve been Leary. And usually it’s the small animals!

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was like 10 or 11 when I had Ellie. I finally had it with tip toeing around her and one day just flung the door open said “come mere” and grabbed her. She fought me tooth and nail but I had her! Lol I’ve never really been scared of a animal before but I’ve been Leary. And usually it’s the small animals!
I agree completely! I'm a vet tech and it's always the smallest animals that scare me the most ha ha!
I love my grumpy doe though...she'll let me rub her head and pet her but when I touch something in her cage she'll get angry!

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
If both of your rabbits look like the one in your first pic, they have black points. The "black" pigment (eumelanin) is normally a really intense dark brown color, and genes that thin it down (think Siamese Sable) kinda help you to see that it is actually brown, rather than inky black. The chocolate gene changes the shape of the eumelanin granules, so they refract/reflect light differently, so the color is much lighter - about the same shade as a milk chocolate candy bar. "Black" often fades, especially in rabbits that are exposed to direct sunlight, but Chocolate never looks darker than, well, chocolate.:hu

On the matter of temperament - it's been in effect for a long time now, but I can still remember when the ARBA created a rule that allows judges to put a rabbit out of a class for being vicious. Having watched judges trying to pose rabbits that would rather bite than sit, I totally supported the move; their job is hard enough without having to dodge razor-sharp teeth while trying to do it. Plus, I know that a certain amount of temperament is inheritable, and even show rabbits create a lot of "pet quality" babies. If a rabbit will get DQ'd because it's mean, there's no point in showing it, so there's little reward for keeping cranky rabbits in a show herd (no matter how gorgeous they may be). I have a lovely little scar on my wrist from the bite of a truly vicious Netherland Dwarf that I owned almost 20 years ago to remind me just how nasty a rabbit can be (as if I needed that), and I don't ever want to be responsible for something like that happening to a child. So, temperament is something I select for. I will allow a rabbit to be stand-offish, but any rabbit that thinks it can kick me out of its cage had better get over it, or it will have voted itself out of the gene pool. I will allow a doe to be protective of her litter - that's just good mothering instincts, IMO - but she needs to be at least tractable the rest of the time. Yes, I have had to teach a few rabbits about nursing their litters, but on the other hand, I can also relocate does within hours of them kindling, and still have them do exactly what they should. I'd prefer to believe that decreasing unsociable behavior in domestic rabbits doesn't mean losing some other, more useful instincts (like mothering ability), though I can see how that might be true, at least some of the time.

AlleysChicks

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I agree completely! I'm a vet tech and it's always the smallest animals that scare me the most ha ha!
I love my grumpy doe though...she'll let me rub her head and pet her but when I touch something in her cage she'll get angry!
I went to school to be a tech but unless I move to the city I can’t get a job as one. My closest vet is a hour away. Which is a pain because I basically have a zoo lol

If both of your rabbits look like the one in your first pic, they have black points. The "black" pigment (eumelanin) is normally a really intense dark brown color, and genes that thin it down (think Siamese Sable) kinda help you to see that it is actually brown, rather than inky black. The chocolate gene changes the shape of the eumelanin granules, so they refract/reflect light differently, so the color is much lighter - about the same shade as a milk chocolate candy bar. "Black" often fades, especially in rabbits that are exposed to direct sunlight, but Chocolate never looks darker than, well, chocolate.:hu

On the matter of temperament - it's been in effect for a long time now, but I can still remember when the ARBA created a rule that allows judges to put a rabbit out of a class for being vicious. Having watched judges trying to pose rabbits that would rather bite than sit, I totally supported the move; their job is hard enough without having to dodge razor-sharp teeth while trying to do it. Plus, I know that a certain amount of temperament is inheritable, and even show rabbits create a lot of "pet quality" babies. If a rabbit will get DQ'd because it's mean, there's no point in showing it, so there's little reward for keeping cranky rabbits in a show herd (no matter how gorgeous they may be). I have a lovely little scar on my wrist from the bite of a truly vicious Netherland Dwarf that I owned almost 20 years ago to remind me just how nasty a rabbit can be (as if I needed that), and I don't ever want to be responsible for something like that happening to a child. So, temperament is something I select for. I will allow a rabbit to be stand-offish, but any rabbit that thinks it can kick me out of its cage had better get over it, or it will have voted itself out of the gene pool. I will allow a doe to be protective of her litter - that's just good mothering instincts, IMO - but she needs to be at least tractable the rest of the time. Yes, I have had to teach a few rabbits about nursing their litters, but on the other hand, I can also relocate does within hours of them kindling, and still have them do exactly what they should. I'd prefer to believe that decreasing unsociable behavior in domestic rabbits doesn't mean losing some other, more useful instincts (like mothering ability), though I can see how that might be true, at least some of the time.
I had Ellie about 18 years ago, give or take a year.
Bonnie isn’t bad just never handled, I can get her in and out easy. Once I have her out she doesn’t know what to do. I end up giving her scratches and carrying her around for awhile.

Here is mom and dad. Dad doesn’t normally have that line on his nose but someone got ahold of him (glances at mom).
2EA5D9C0-1C10-47CF-AFD0-CCB6A95B9105.jpeg
42A554BF-478C-49B3-83E8-BD4AF9F91F38.jpeg